News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Re-Railers????

Started by rbryce1, July 07, 2012, 05:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richd286

I took a close look at the Bachmann rerailer and I agree that there is a groove on the outside edge of the rail that runs the length of the track section that keeps the wheel flange from crossing the rail and seating correctly.   Thanks rbryce1

Doneldon

rbryce or richd-

Is there any reason the groove could not be filled with a thin strip of styrene or even a plastic material?

-- D

Ken G Price

is there a groove on the inside of the re-railer next to the track?
This is so the inner wheel flange will be forced to move next to the rail pulling the out side wheel toward the rail also, so it will then ride up and onto the rail.

At least that is the way it looks to work on my Atlas re-railers.
???
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

richd286

Don...
I just looked at the track section and it is a very shallow groove on the outside edge of the track, and I am sure that the sharp edge of the flange get caught there.  I just dry tested a strand of fine DCC wire and it could work very nicely since the roundness of the wire fills the groove and would help get the flange over the rail.  Will keep you posted.

electrical whiz kid

My two centavos here...
One of the most valuable lessons I have learned is that there isn't any such thing called overdoing the quality of your trackwork.   Consider the tolerances that are in play here, and just how much deviation there is before things go boom!-down to the first level.
When laying out your trackwork, really go the extra mile and get as close to perfection as you can.  Track that is kinked, lopsided, twisted, etc will spell misery untold, I don't care how much your buildings,  brass locos, etc cost, or how nicethey all look.  Unless you are building a static display, go the extra mile-AND TAKE YOUR TIME!!!
Rich C. 

rbryce1

Hey Electric Whiz Kid...RTDQ.  This isn't about laying out track work, it's about trying to get a component to do it's job.

jward

don't you understand it's all related?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rbryce1

Quote from: jward on July 21, 2012, 02:39:21 AM

FOR PETE'S SAKE, I'M SOOOOOO SICK OF THIS.  DO I NEED TO SAY THIS AGAIN!   TOPIC: RE-RAILING - NOT DE-RAILING.  NO, IT'S NOT RELATED.

I have stated this dozens of times already.  I am not talking about Atlas track, flex track, Acme track or McDonalds track.  This is Bachmann track.  If you are on a Bachmann site and know what Bachmann track is, then you know you have NO control over the gauge or precission of how the track can be laid.   You only have control over how the sections are joined or to throw a bad section of track away.

I have stated about a dozen times what the issue is, and the issue is not how the track is being laid.  Even if it were, I don't care how much care and precision you put into laying your track, YOU WILL GET A DE-RAILMENT sometime, and, ONE MORE TIME, that is the issue of this thread is - RE-RAILING, NOT DE-RAILING.  

If anyone out there thinks that being SUPER carefull about how the track is laid will 100% prevent de-railments, or if you have never yet had a de-railment, you are so new to model railroading, you haven't even been born yet!

The issue is, AGAIN, why the re-railer is not working.  Please, for all future commentators, if you wish to discuss the necessity of proper track laying, START YOUR OWN THREAD ON THIS MATTER.  If you wish to contribute to my thread, please stay on the ACTUAL ISSUE or thank you, please don't comment at all.

WOW,  all that and I didn't swear once!

richg

Simple solution. Get out your razor saw or Dremel with a diamond cutoff wheel and replace the offending track. We do that at out club sometimes. This is part of model railroading. More time at the layout and less time at the PC and Internet. Less ranting and lower blood pressure.

Rich

richg

Doneldon

Quote from: rbryce1 on July 21, 2012, 07:29:45 AM
FOR PETE'S SAKE, I'M SOOOOOO SICK OF THIS.  DO I NEED TO SAY THIS AGAIN!   TOPIC: RE-RAILING - NOT DE-RAILING.  NO, IT'S NOT RELATED.

rb-

Easy does it. I think you'll find good answers to your initial question if you go back through the various responses. Yes, some responders have expanded on your topic but that is pretty standard here and elsewhere. Use the responses which are helpful and ignore the others. Life is too short to spend it getting into a lather over a hobby!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          -- D

Ken G Price

I also got it from the beginning. I can only conclude that others want to put their spin on what you have stated, Ignoring the reality of the problem.

Jward, It is not all related if the track work is all good and cars do not derail. Why is that related to the rerailer problem he is having?
Just because you do not have his problem does not make it any less real.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

rbryce1

Doneldon, Ken and all the others who actually are attempting to help with my problem,

Thank you, and and you are correct.  Some people just need to put in their 2 cents in even if they need to take out a loan to do so!  From now forward, I am only going to read the comments from those who are addressing the problem and completely ignore the ones who are just filling up space.

Jerrys HO

rb,

A lot of the poster's trying to help you are serious modeler's. Most hand laid track at one time or another.
Richg gave the best advice of all
QuoteSimple solution. Get out your razor saw or Dremel with a diamond cutoff wheel and replace the offending track. We do that at out club sometimes. This is part of model railroading. More time at the layout and less time at the PC and Internet. Less ranting and lower blood pressure.

The only suggestion I have is to call Bachmann's service dept. and see if they can replace them for you as Ken said you may have a bad batch.

I have about 6 Bachmann rerailer's that I have purposely derailed car's to see and everyone of them rerail just fine. The funny part is they all are the same as your's as you describe them.

Jerry

jward

Quote from: Ken G Price on July 21, 2012, 04:00:06 PM

I also got it from the beginning. I can only conclude that others want to put their spin on what you have stated, Ignoring the reality of the problem.

Jward, It is not all related if the track work is all good and cars do not derail. Why is that related to the rerailer problem he is having?
Just because you do not have his problem does not make it any less real.

i am not saying the problem isn't real. it's all related. for example, the op seems to assume the problem is the rerailer when that may not be the case. if you have cars where something interferes with the swivel of the trucks, the same interference that derailed the car in the first place can also cause the car not to rerail. in this case, no amount of fixing the rerailer will cure the problem.

good troubleshooting procedures demand that all factors be considered when looking for a solution. they can be eliminated one by one until what remains muct be the problem. looking at the wrong factor won't cure the problem.

we were never told if the problem is with certain cars, or completely random. did the poster try runnign trains in the othher direction to see if the problem occurs that way? we don't know, we weren't told. did the op try flipping the strainght rerailers around, to see if that cured the problem? once again, we don;t know because we weren't told. if a curved rerailer, does moving the rerailer to a different position in the curve cure the problem? yet again, we don't know.....

we also don't know the track configuration at the places these rerailers are placed.

there are alot of variables which come into play here. if the op wants a solution to the problem, he has to be oopen to possible solutions. if he isn't he may not find one.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA