"broken" transformer/controller on starter set?

Started by tdf, July 14, 2012, 07:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdf

Hi,
Newbie here...
Bought my 6 yr old the Bachman HO fire chief starter set this past Christmas.
We set it up and played with it over the Christmas Hoilday, and then set it aside until just last week.
I went to set it up again, and the train will not run.
The controller/transformer is a plastic grey unit that has a red power cord going to the track via "unique" plug on end (that goes into track.  The controller does not "hum" but the red power light does indeed come on.
I took the locomotive to the hobby store (where purchased) and they confirmed  the engine does work..
Is the controller an item that i can repair (or at least "trouble shoot")? 
Thoughts or help would be appreciated! 

Thanks,

Joe Satnik

Dear tdf,

Any way you can swap the red power cord with another?  The cord's strain relief is not that good, and over-flexing can cause a wire to break. 

Otherwise, you would need a volt-ohm meter to measure the output of the controller.

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, they have DVOM's on sale regularly, you can pick one up for less than $5. 

I have fixed components inside the controller box that have gone bad, so that's a possibility, too. 

Hope this helps.   

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

richg

Get a multimeter from a local Home Depot and measure the DC voltage from the power pack.
Go to an Auto Zone automobile parts supplier and look for an electrical tester that looks like an ice pick/screwdriver with a wire connected to it. The other end of the wire will have a alligator clip. Those measure 12 volts DC and the clear plastic handle has a light bulb in it. Touch both leads to the car batter and see how bright the bulb is. Your power pack should have the same brightness as the car battery when it is at max setting.
Many auto mechanics over the years have used those as they did not understand multimeter's.

I have used the cheap multimeter from Harbor Freight for some years. I have three of them.
I also have the ice pick tester.

Rich

railtwister

The little Harbor Freight Digital Volt Meter is a great tool for an awesome low price. HF has had promotions that gave the meter away free with a purchase, it can't get any cheaper that that, plus it works very well. They are frequently on sale for $2.99 or even $1.99, but even at the current price of $6.99, it's still a bargain!

Bill in FtL