Atlas track question: Switch machine for WYE turnout

Started by LDBennett, July 15, 2012, 07:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LDBennett

I want to use Atlas Code 100 track. They have different switch machines for left and right turnouts. Which one do you use with the WYE #280? Their web page does not say.

LDBennett

J3a-614

I'm looking at the illustrations on the Atlas page, and the wye switch has its motor mounting point on the left, as does the right-hand switch.  That suggests you want the right-hand machine.

Wye turnout:

https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/itemdesc.asp?ic=0280&eq=&Tp=

Right-hand turnout; note that the throw bar is on the left, same as for the wye:

https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/itemdesc.asp?ic=0282&eq=&Tp=

Right-hand machine:

https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/itemdesc.asp?ic=0053&eq=&Tp=

Hope this helps.

LDBennett

That was my guess too but then I noticed the machines were mounted on the straight track side in both left and right hand cases.

The machines are long (??) and maybe the straight track side is needed for clearance of the machine (??). So it still leaves me wondering. I sent a question to Atlas.  Maybe they'll respond or maybe someone here has used the HO Code 100 Wye with a switch machine (??).

LDBennett

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Your best bet would be a groundthrow or an undertrack switchmachine.

LDBennett

Atlas says use the right switch machine #53 with the WYE #280.

LDBennett

LDBennett

Well, I made a few mistakes on this subject. Fortunately I have yet to buy anything.

I thought my track on my existing layout was Code 100. Well, it is Code 83, which changes all the part numbers of the Atlas track system (using flex track).

In addition, I laid out the potential design on paper and found that my original design will not fit in the allotted space. The "yard" area is much tighter and has to be in a different spot using different turnouts and no WYE will fit. Its all a squeeze.

What is the history of Code 100 vs. Code 83 track? Why are their two different height track systems? I understand the reference number refers to the height of the rails (0.100 inches vs 0.083 inches). But why are there these two options?

LDBennett

jonathan

LD,

Will try to be brief as possible.  Code 100 track was the standard for many years.  Code 83 track is a bit closer in size to the actual prototype.  Along with shorter rails, the ties are closer together, again, a bit closer to the mainline prototype.

I use some Code 100, in order to run older models. Rivarossi,  old Varney, and few others have larger flanges on the wheels and will not run properly on Code 83 track.  One could grind down the flanges, but I'm not that motivated.

There are even shorter rails to represent yards and sidings; like Code 70 and Code 55.

Today's products, with more protoypical wheels, will run on these shorter rails.

Code 83 track tends to be a bit more expensive than Code 100 track, but looks more realistic to many modelers.

That's a shorter answer.  Has led to some lengthy discussions in the past.

Regards,

Jonathan

railtwister

Quote from: LDBennett on July 18, 2012, 08:17:48 AM
Well, I made a few mistakes on this subject. Fortunately I have yet to buy anything.

I thought my track on my existing layout was Code 100. Well, it is Code 83, which changes all the part numbers of the Atlas track system (using flex track).

In addition, I laid out the potential design on paper and found that my original design will not fit in the allotted space. The "yard" area is much tighter and has to be in a different spot using different turnouts and no WYE will fit. Its all a squeeze.

What is the history of Code 100 vs. Code 83 track? Why are their two different height track systems? I understand the reference number refers to the height of the rails (0.100 inches vs 0.083 inches). But why are there these two options?

LDBennett

Hi LDB,

The code 100 was the original rail size used fro HO, and probably dates back to WWII or earlier, when wheel flanges were much deeper, looking much like pizza cutters. Originally brass, zinc, or steel were the metals used for the rails, then Nickel-Silver came along, which was a big improvement. Sometime in the sixties, smaller rail became available for those hand laying their track, but code 83 snap-track didn't come for many years, probably the late 80's - early 90's. Code 100 is still made available for those with existing layouts still using it, plus it is better suited for train sets and beginners due to the fact that it is more robust. It is also better suited for those of us in On30, since the ties are a bit over sized for HO, but passable for On30. Rail is also available in other sizes like code 80, 70, 60, 55, and 40, but the smaller sizes require special techniques for laying.

Bill in FtL