News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mining Locomotive 2-6-0

Started by scoobster28, August 01, 2007, 09:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Fletcher

All we can do is request Bachmann run the model again.  It is strange to see a Bachmann model such as this so completely sold out.  Usually one can purchase older models for a very long time, heck I know a place where you can still buy the old 2-4-2 tender loco new.  I think it is important that smaller cheaper locos such as this remain on the market for the lower cost end of the hobby.  One can do a lot with these smaller non spectrum jobs.
I'd like to see the 2-4-2T loco re-run with a new cast metal chassis as well...could be a neat loco especially with a performance to match their appearance.  The 2-4-2Ts were always nicely detailed.  An adaption of this model could also be the 0-6-2T locos such as found on the Unitah.

David.

jsmvmd

Dear 4eyes,

Several years ago TOC posted, and re-posted how he weighted the Indy so that it pulled very well.  I seem to recall that he said something like you could not break any component in the drive train, too.  He said get as much weight in it as you can.  I think Rich Cormier uses small lead shot, say no. 9 or smaller, in small balloons to contain the stuff.  Otherwise you can glue it in.

Dave & Rich, please correct me if wrong.

Best Wishes,

Jack

David Fletcher

Its a good drive, but not indestructable.  A good rule of thumb with this or any loco is to add weight but not so much that the wheels cant slip when pulling too much load.  If the wheels come to a standstill while pulling the heavy train, then you're asking for a burn out or gear stripping.

Short of ripping out the useless circuit board inside the boiler, I think most have simply recommended loading shot into the two air tanks on the boiler sides below the running boards...simple to do, and doesn't require any re-wiring.

David.

Jack Mette

Greetings!
A great little locomotive. I have had no complaints. I have only run it for about an hour because of lack of room but it looks great.
Jack L. Mette

Ladder72

You are all awesome. This post is one of my 2 boys' favorites. All of the photos and kitbashing was wonderful. My 5 yo has been learning his loco names and I let him stew over these for a while before letting him in on the secret world of "kitbashing". YEP, he now wants to start cutting up some of his trains.....we will have to see. Thanks again to all. Trent