News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mining Locomotive 2-6-0

Started by scoobster28, August 01, 2007, 09:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoobster28

I saw this advertised for a couple of years, and it got pretty good reviews. Now, I cannot seem to find them at all... on your website, on other people's sites, or anywhere.

What happened to this engine? Did it just fall off the face of the earth?  ???

Paul W.

The 2-6-0 "Indy" has been out of production for several years now. Up till last year, several companies still had some in stock, now they are very difficult to find. They do show up on ebay from time to time as well as train shows where people know they can get some good money for them.
Happy hunting!
Happy Steamin'

Paul

altterrain

Quite a few vendors were selling Indies at the 2006 ECLSTS in York for a nice price. I came close to buying one but I had not even laid a foot of track yet and that was a priority. Its a cute little loco but not known to be a great puller. I did see one on eBay recently that went for a reasonable price.

-Brian
President of

scoobster28

Why did they stop producing it if they only released it a couple of years ago? Did it not sell well?

Jon D. Miller

Time flies when you are having fun.  The Industrial Mogul was introduced Dec. 2002.

This is the Indy with a custom cab and modified tender.  With just a little weight added they will pull a respectable load for their size.  They won't pull paint off the wall but will sure handle two or three J&S coaches or four or five freight cars with no problem.  Great little locomotive.

Bachmann will introduce a locomotive, catalog it for a few years, and then drop it.  In time the locomotive may be produced and offered again.  Case in point would be the 1:22.5 Side Tank Porter.  It was offered at different times over the years.  Now it's back in a 1:20.3 version that has been upgraded from previous versions.

Just hang on, it will probably be offered again.  In the meantime, there are still dealers that have the Indy in stock.  It just takes some looking around to find one.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Pospete

I am one of those who bought one off ebay, although i am glad i did, it's a great little Loco, tho has been said it's not a great puller, but ideal for small trains of a couple of 20ft box cars etc.

David Fletcher

I wish Bachmann could re-release these lil moguls sooner rather than later!  They were a neat lil model, and pulled real well with added weight in the boiler.  The chassis was nicely engineered, cast metal frame, metal side rods and nice gearing all for under $100.  I have some more ideas I'd like to run with these models, but as you note, they're pretty hard to get now. 

Here are some of my 1870s Porter Conversion from the Mining mogul:  The first one is the Martha's Vinyard Porter of 1874.  The green #4 and Wine coloured #7 were Porters on the Colorado Central RR, built in 1873 and 1877 respectively..this is the RR that would build the Georgetown Loop Bridge and ultimately become the Colorado & Southern in 1899.  The models are all 1:20.3 scale.
Very smooth running models and good strength with weight in the boilers (I never need that circuit board built into the Indy Boiler).

We need more Indys!!!

Fletch

altterrain

President of

foureyes

Several have commented about the lack of pulling power.  I agree.  Mine will pull two cars if I'm lucky.  I've got about eight J&S cars that sit on sidings because of that.

What is the solution for someone who's not into major engine surgery?

altterrain

Dear  :o :o (get it?)

Sorry about that. I dont think major surgery is required. You probably just need to remove the smoke unit (its not worth much any) and glue in (5 min epoxy) some lead weights (fishing sinkers or car wheel weights) inside the boiler. You might have to experiment to see what size and amount (4 - 8 oz.?) will work for you.

-Brian
President of

Jon D. Miller

::) ::)

First, remember we are talking about a small Industrial Mogul.  Doubt that in many, if any, cases a locomotive of this type would be used to handle a passenger consist of any size.

I've added 14 ounces of weight to the Indy.  It will easily pull six Bachmann J&S coaches. Now it looks a little out of place at the headend, but it will pull them.  The Indy handles, with ease, six to eight Bachmann side dump cars.  My layout has little if any grade so that no doubt helps the little Mogul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbLCm9VTJak

This is a very short video clip I made about an hour ago.  Here the Indy is pulling a box car with battery and RC receiver.  The three J&S coaches have been extended by adding three window sections.  The combine was built to match the length of the passenger coaches.  The Indy handles this consist with ease.

This Mogul has been in service since December 2002.

JD

scottychaos

Since we are on the topic, I also bought one Indy (wish I had bought more when they could be easily had for $90!)

Here is what I bashed mine into:

I changed the scale, gauge and wheel arrangement!
it is now a 29n2 scale Maine forney, 1/29 scale, 2-foot gauge.

Scot

scoobster28

Wow, you guys all do great work!  :)

gunslinger473

Corect me if I'm wrong, but even though the loco is out of production can't you still get parts for it? When I first saw the "Indy" 1: Iliked the way it looked, and 2: it was cheap! I but i really got intersted in the mogul when I saw David Fletcher's 2007 Master Class for the 0-6-0 Porter bell Co.'s locomotives for the Calorado Central. My thaught is that that although the engine is no longer produced, you could get the chassy and other parts of the loco as "Parts". I told a friend of mine about my problem of not having the engine to work on so he thaught of using the LGB 2-6-0 but I think the dimentions are off. David Fletcher, what is your thaught on that as well as the "Parts" idea?

Jon D. Miller

Bachmann does not sell parts or components for locomotives or rolling stock.  Bachmann carries no inventory of replacement parts.

They will repair or replace a locomotive.  The charge for service of a Large Scale locomotive is $30.00.  That's the charge for locomotives that are past their warranty period.  For that $30.00 you get your locomotive repaired, or in many cases a new locomotive.  The complete locomotive with tender, if applicable, must be returned to Bachmann.

Large Scale Spectrum locomotives require a $50.00 service fee for repair or replacement.

JD