News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

14 piece HO Scale Pier Set

Started by bigjoe11a, July 15, 2012, 09:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjoe11a

I wanted to add this to my layout. Just under this I wanted to add like a coal mine. The problem that I'm having is that the AT-F engine that came with the train set I have. For some reason when it goes up the pier it seems to slow down and come to a stop. I have to turn the power up to increase speed so the engine can make it to the top. and then it races down when it reaches the top and I have to slow it down. Does any one have any thoughts or ideas on this.

I want to set the speed of my engines and no matter where they go I want them to go the same speed. I didn't want to change my layout again. I even lowered the pier to make it easy for the engine and that doesn't seem to work. I'm only using the 1st 5 pieces of the pier.

Joe

jward

it's not the height of the climb that will affect your locomotive, but the steepness of the climb. i would use only one pier per section of track for the rise you want. even that gives you a relatively steep 3% grade.

one thing you didn't tell us was how many cars your locomotive was pulling. were the wheels spinning when it was on the upgrade?

to be honest, to provide the type of "cruise control" speed regulation you are talking about you'd probably need to convert to a dcc system, and equip the locomotive with a decoder that has back emf. this feature allows the decoder to increase power to the locomotive when it is under load, and reduce it when the load lessens.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bigjoe11a

Well the loco has 3 cars that it pulls. and they are all DCC. I have the DCC 0501 EZ Command System. and No. The wheels didn't spin. If I didn't have more power going to the loco or (Engine) it would then stop just as it starts to climb the pier. And I don't think the decodes I have will have an back emf. I do have plans to upgrade my decoders. It won't be until the end of the year.

The new decoders are like $80.00 each and I just don't have the money right now. I should do if you want me too is take a photo of it so you can see what I mean. Let me know. I'm off to bed.

jward

i am concerned that the wheels are not spinning on the grade. if the locomotive is pulling more than it should upgrade, the wheels should spin. since they aren't you may have a weak motor. if you hold the locomotive in place on the track and turn the controller up all the way, the wheels should spin. if they don't i'd contact bachmann service.

i would like to see your setup to get an idea how steep your upgrade is.

nce makes replacement decoders for bachmann with back emf, i think they are called bac-dsl or something similar. they cost about $20. unfortunately, the bachmann decoders are very basic like the ez command. they don't have alot of features. if you do replace the decoder you will need to have somebody with a different dcc system program it for you as ez command cannot do that.

do you have another dcc locomotive? does it perform any better on your upgrade?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bigjoe11a

1) No the wheels don't spin. until I give the loco more power and then yes some times they do. Until it gets to the top of the pier.

Here's the photo. This is where the engine stops and I have to give it more power to climb the pier.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?1a11a6l8r3vxatl

and as for the decoders. I wanted to add sound affects to my lay out and the decoders that come with the 0501 doesn't support sound. So that's why they cost so much. Just for me to spend $20.00 on the decoder your talking about wouldn't be a good idea.

Yes it does. How ever it all so slows down. It does seem to move up the pier better. It does slow down when the engine does start going up it. and it seems to run fine after it completes the pier. As long as it's on track that plat. There are no problems.

Jerrys HO

bigjoe,

Wow that is one steepgrade. It looks like in 2 9" sections you have accomplished a 3 to 4 percent grade. On a 3% grade it should take at least 100 inches roughly about 8.5 ft. to get to the top of the grade.
Yes you will have problems with just about any loco on the grade you have now. There is nothing you can do to your loco to accomplish this climb short of redoing the tracking.

Jerry

bigjoe11a

Thanks Jerry, I'll just have to make it smaller. I'll have too Lower the pier so it's not so high and try it again.

Joe

jward

you definitely want to use the consecutively numbered piers, and not skip any. most pier sets in HO seem to get taller in 1/4" increments. 1/4" rise per full track section is a 3% grade. i have many bachmann locomotives including several gp40s and fts. they will all pull at least 5 cars on my grades.

as for adding sound to your locomotives, that is going to be a major pain involving complete disassembly of the locomotive and milling of the frame to make room for a speaker. sound decoder installation is not for the faint of heart.
you'd be further ahead buying a locomotive with sound installed, like the alco fa2. or getting a bachmann gp7 or gp9 which has a place milled out to hold a speaker.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bigjoe11a

Quote from: jward on July 17, 2012, 03:27:23 AM
you definitely want to use the consecutively numbered piers, and not skip any. most pier sets in HO seem to get taller in 1/4" increments. 1/4" rise per full track section is a 3% grade. i have many bachmann locomotives including several gp40s and fts. they will all pull at least 5 cars on my grades.

as for adding sound to your locomotives, that is going to be a major pain involving complete disassembly of the locomotive and milling of the frame to make room for a speaker. sound decoder installation is not for the faint of heart.
you'd be further ahead buying a locomotive with sound installed, like the alco fa2. or getting a bachmann gp7 or gp9 which has a place milled out to hold a speaker.

1)
Well I don't under stand then why mine won't, Unless you added that decoder to your engines.

2) As for getting another engine's that's a little pricey too. To replace the gp 40 and fts I have would cost me all most as much as I paid for the DCC EZ Command train set. That would have to wait until next year so I can save some money back.

Thanks for the info

Joe

bigjoe11a

I did what you asked me to do. I put it all back together the way I had it. and now I can't seem to get the cars attached to the engine to stay attached. So I took all the piers off and it seems to run just fine on the foam. I mean as long as it's flat. I mite have to change my theme. Any ideas on what to do. I really wanted to use the pier set I got.

Joe

Jerrys HO

Joe,

QuoteWell I don't under stand then why mine won't, Unless you added that decoder to your engines.

Jeff has a grade that is stretched out to meet the requirements needed for a small loco to climb. I also played with my layout to get it this way. Check out some of the pics I took a while back along with other's.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20416.0.html

Your car's will not stay coupled because of the steep increase on your grade. You have to gradually work your way up to the 3% rise. Take note my grade start's on one side of my table and come's back up the other side to achive the gradual increase. I still have a few bump's I am working on where a couple of car's will come apart.
I agree with Jeff on the new sound value loco's as they are fantastic. Check out The Favorite Spot.com for great price's on Bachmann product's. Also check out the video by Geared Steam on the new 2-6-0.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21042.0.html

Keep the question's coming as this is a great place to get some expert opinion's. I should know they have helped me work out the kinks in my layout.

Jerry

I also used the Woodland Scenic risers which help take the guess work out of getting the correct grade. As you can see I also stretched them out a little for a longer approach and decending ramp

bigjoe11a

That's why. Jerry. Your lay out has to be 70% bigger then mine is. See I have a very small lay out and I'm still having problems getting the track to fit right. I have a small spot to work with and it sucks. My layout is only 6' 1/2" by 4' and I added a small L shape to the 6' 1/2", See it's only 3' 3" by 2' 1/2". I'll have to post a photo of my layout to give you guys a better idea on what I have to work with.

As for the pier. I just don't have the room on the layout for it.

and as for the sound. I hope to add sound to my engines some day.  and as for questions. I have a lot more to ask when the time comes.

Be looking for a photo in a few minutes.

bigjoe11a

jward

don't feel bad about the small size of your layout. if anything, mine is even smaller. 4 1/2 x 4. with a 2 x 6 yard extension. as jerry  mentioned, i kept the grades steepness down by lengthening the slopes. as a result, most of my main track is either on an upgrade or a downgrade. a smooth gradual transition between level and upgrade is essential to keep the cars coupled, as if keeping all couplers the same height.

all my bachmann locomotives are currently running with the decoder they came with, if they were dcc onboard. the others had whatever decoder i had laying around installed.

adding more locomotives to your layout doesn't need to be expensive. i've bought dcc equipped fts from the favorite spot for under $25, sound equipped locomotives for about $85.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA