News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotive Identification

Started by CGLowry, July 07, 2012, 02:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CGLowry

Does anyone know anything about a set of Williams CSX GP-38 AA-103 locomotives?  I don't have a product identification number which doesn't give much to go on.  They're not a currently offered product that I've been able to determine.  I'm especially interested in determining if they're O gauge, scale or traditional/baby etc.  I appreciate any information anyone can provide.

Joe Satnik

Dear CGLowry,

Guessing an earlier horn only model (TB or TBI)?

The Williams (pre-WBB) Winter 2003-2004 Contemporary (now "Traditional") line catalog shows GP38-200 through -214 with TBII sound, no -1xx numbers.

Powered (no suffix) and Dummy ("D" suffix) sold separately.

Example item numbers shown:

#GP38-205 powered CSX
#GP38-208D dummy New Haven

I'm guessing that they are copying Lionel's modern era GP-38. 

My Williams Chessie System GP-38 (-204), road number C&O 3892 measures

15-1/8" coupler face to coupler face,

14" handrail to handrail,

2-3/4" cab width,

3-3/4" rail head to top of fan.

I'll leave it to you to figure out if that is scale or not.  (1/4" = 1 foot is "O" scale)   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

CGLowry

Joe Satnik

Dear CGLowry,

Looking through my old box of catalogs I found the (pre-WBB) Williams Winter 2005 "New Arrivals Sale" folded 2-sided poster catalog.

"Expires 2/31(sic)/2005" 

I wonder if 3rail got 3 extra days pay that year?

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/joebarb/scan0001.jpg

Note that each has a single motor. 

Don't know if one is wired in the opposite direction (for back-to-back lash-ups) or the same direction (elephant style lash-ups). 

I finally learned how to scan with my old HP PSC 2175.  I have an old computer on my network with XP, so it still works. 

(Apparently no longer supported on Vista or 7.  HP support = "Go buy a new printer".) 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.