HO Scale Amtrak Acela Train Set

Started by Sparky66, July 18, 2012, 10:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky66

Hey guys/gals

Got a quick question that I should of asked long before I ordered my Acela HO train set.  I have tried searching this question all over the internet, but can't find any information what so ever, even the place I ordered from, the description for the set is vague.  My question is..

I know the set says.. DCC equipped for speed, direction and lighting.

What exactly does this mean??  What I really want to know is..   What kind of controller will I get with this set.  When I first bought it, I was thinking I would actually get the E-Z Command® Digital Command Control System, but from what I'm reading or guessing, It most likely isn't this.

Any help would greatly be appreciated..

Doneldon

Sparky-

You can find the Bachmann description of the Acela set on this website. Just go to "Product Information," select "HO," pick "Train Sets" and look for the Acela set on page two. The description says that you will receive one powered locomotive which is DCC equipped. However, the set comes with a conventional DC power pack so you won't have DCC control. You'll need a DCC system to take advantage of the DCC features. Your set will run just fine on DC because all of Bachmann's decoders (the small IC boards inside the locos) are designed to automatically detect the kind of control system (DC or DCC, not kind as in manufacturer), and operate on which ever system is available.

With DCC operation you'd be able to control the speed and direction of your locomotive, even if it is sharing a track with another train or trains traveling at different speeds or in different directions. That's the miracle  of DCC: One has control of the locomotive itself, not just the polarity and voltage on the track. With DC every locomotive on a given section of track (meaning a stretch of track which is electrically contiguous even if it is not physically contiguous although in virtually every case it would all be physicalyl contiguous) runs in the same direction and more or less at the same speed, varying only due to the size, condition and gearing in the various locomotives on the track.

Your DCC-equipped locomotive will also allow you more versatility in the control of the lights in your loco. Most DC locos either are or can be equipped so the light on the leading end of a loco is automatically on. With DCC, you can set the trailing end light to go red (if the loco is so equipped), turn cab lights, ditch lights, firebox flicker, etc., on and off, and possibly control other features like smoke or sound (only if the loco is equipped for sound). Also, DCC sound locos (not your Acela) usually have some automatic sounds when operating under DC but the operator has no direct control over those sound effects.

Enjoy your new set and welcome to model railroading.
                                                                                         -- D

Sparky66

Quote from: Doneldon on July 18, 2012, 11:14:54 PM
Sparky-

You can find the Bachmann description of the Acela set on this website. Just go to "Product Information," select "HO," pick "Train Sets" and look for the Acela set on page two. The description says that you will receive one powered locomotive which is DCC equipped. However, the set comes with a conventional DC power pack so you won't have DCC control. You'll need a DCC system to take advantage of the DCC features. Your set will run just fine on DC because all of Bachmann's decoders (the small IC boards inside the locos) are designed to automatically detect the kind of control system (DC or DCC, not kind as in manufacturer), and operate on which ever system is available.

With DCC operation you'd be able to control the speed and direction of your locomotive, even if it is sharing a track with another train or trains traveling at different speeds or in different directions. That's the miracle  of DCC: One has control of the locomotive itself, not just the polarity and voltage on the track. With DC every locomotive on a given section of track (meaning a stretch of track which is electrically contiguous even if it is not physically contiguous although in virtually every case it would all be physicalyl contiguous) runs in the same direction and more or less at the same speed, varying only due to the size, condition and gearing in the various locomotives on the track.

Your DCC-equipped locomotive will also allow you more versatility in the control of the lights in your loco. Most DC locos either are or can be equipped so the light on the leading end of a loco is automatically on. With DCC, you can set the trailing end light to go red (if the loco is so equipped), turn cab lights, ditch lights, firebox flicker, etc., on and off, and possibly control other features like smoke or sound (only if the loco is equipped for sound). Also, DCC sound locos (not your Acela) usually have some automatic sounds when operating under DC but the operator has no direct control over those sound effects.

Enjoy your new set and welcome to model railroading.
                                                                                        -- D

Thanks for all the info.  I gathered most of that myself....  But still after reading the description I wasn't 100% sure.. and since I already started buying DCC equipped loco's I wanted to make sure I was right.  <SIGH>  Kinda exaggerating about how the loco's are DCC equipped for lights, power etc, only to give you a cheap DC controller. lol.  Now I got to wait a week before I can go out and buy the cheapy EZ controller, and shelve the DCC ready loco I just got today.

Well, at least I know now, so it won't be a big disappointment when the set comes tomorrow.

ripvanwnkl

Sparky,

Suggest you check EBay for new EZ Command DCC controllers for @$50-60.00.   

My grandson and I have been using a couple of EZ Commands for the last 9 years for our respective temporary freight and passenger EZ track layouts.  Still working fine for up to four non-sound locos or two locos with sound per controller.    When we run larger consists and need to change CVs, we use MRC Prodigy Squared Wireless. 

Good luck,
Dave
USAF (Retired)

ripvanwnkl

P.S.
I've got the DCC equipped Acela set and EZ Command controls it fine, including power and dummy loco lighting as well as 6 lighted cars (3 cars with set and 3 cars bought separately). 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

Sparky66

Thanks to all those who responded. :)  I'll have to check ebay and see what they have.

Right now though my set is going to have to go back....  Just got it today, and on the power engine, one of the fine details is broken off, and it's not in the box.  So, right now I'm not a happy camper.

My only thing is.. do I contact Bachmann, or should I just send the set back to where I purchased it.  I can just see this eating up shipping charges.. :(

jonathan

Before you ship it off... I would call Bachmann first.  Use the regular number, not the toll free one.

Sometimes, they have those little parts laying around.  You could get lucky.

Regards,

Jonathan

Sparky66

Quote from: jonathan on July 19, 2012, 05:39:13 PM
Before you ship it off... I would call Bachmann first.  Use the regular number, not the toll free one.

Sometimes, they have those little parts laying around.  You could get lucky.

Regards,

Jonathan

Actually, I just contacted the place of purchase....  and they want me to pay for it to be shipped back, sorry, not doing that.  Ticks me off when companies expect you to pay for a return when items are broken or damaged..

I'll be calling Bachmann on Monday, but I think the whole Acela shell is going to have to be replaced, because where the piece broke off, it would be too hard to get out of the hole unless you drill it out.