News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 WP&YR malfunction G-scale

Started by jrd210, August 02, 2012, 12:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrd210

Had this one some years, has been stored for two and on getting back on track, smoke/steam comes out like crazy especially as I get to 10-12 volts (yes i remember don't go too high here) but apart from a little movement at about 4v DC I get no further movement just noise from motors??? Any suggestions.

Kevin Strong

If you can hear the motor turning, but the loco sits there, and/or you can stop the motor and push the loco along the tracks with the wheels freely turning, you've got the dreaded "cracked axle gear syndrome." Alas, very common on 2-8-0s. Fortunately Bachmann sells a replacement axle with a new brass gear on it which will solve your problem. See their parts listing. It's $10 I think, plus shipping. It's a moderately simple repair to make.

Later,

K

Chuck N

In all likely hood the gear on the driving axle has cracked or come loose.  This is a very common problem.  You should be able to order a replacement gear from Bachmann or, there are other suppliers out there who sell that gear as well.  Others will chime in on more specifics.  Since I don't have that specific engine I can't offer exact details, but only a general cause for the problem. I do have that engine and last winter I had Barry of Barry's Big Trains replace the entire drive train with his bomb proof gear box.  Unfortunately, I got one of his last modifications.  As I understand it now he is no longer in the business to build new units.  

So, your best bet is to get the new gear from Bachmann.  

Another possibility is that one if the idler gears in the gear box has come loose.  That is also a relatively easy fix.  The directions are in the archives.  Hopefully, someone can direct you to it.   Regardless of where the problem is I would replace the gear on the drive axle as it will fail sooner or later.

Chuck

Kevin gets the gold medal!  He beat me to the post button.

jrd210

Thanks Kevin and Chuck --I am sure that is correct, will order that piece and proceed.  John D

jrd210

Ordered already, good mailing price to Canada BTW, less than inside Canada!! 

Barry BBT

Chuck,

I'm still here.  Also will be starting a gearbox run in a couple of weeks.

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

Chuck N

Barry:

Sorry for the confusion, I had thought you were retiring from the business.

Glad you haven't!!!

Chuck

mickeykelley

Barry, where can a see a pic and instructions on one of these.  Gonna seriously consider one if looks like I can handle it.