News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Scale vs other scales

Started by bigjoe11a, July 20, 2012, 07:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjoe11a

I have 4 houses that don't match my HO Scale. Is there a way to tell just what scale these houses are. I got these house from ebay and they were sold as HO Scale, When I got them. They didn't match the figure that came with my HO Scale Train Set.

Any one have any ideas.

Joe

az2rail

A little more information would  nice. Are they large, or smaller? Any Pictures? You might try measuring the door height, and calibrate the scale that way.  Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

bigjoe11a

Yes I do have a photo. On ebay. at http://www.ebay.com/itm/120949680796?ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649

there's 4 houses. The larger house has doors that are 2" in height and the smaller houses. have a door height of just a little over 1 1/2".

Bruce I never done this before. So you have to tell me what you need to know so I can give you the information you need to help.

Jhanecker2

The Houses  were listed as  "O"  or  "G"   Scale in the add .   O-scale is  1/4"  = 1 FT. or approxiamately twice the size of  HO .  G scale is the next size up  usually standing for  Garden  Railroad Scale .

richg

Quote from: bigjoe11a on July 20, 2012, 08:03:54 PM
Yes I do have a photo. On ebay. at http://www.ebay.com/itm/120949680796?ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649

there's 4 houses. The larger house has doors that are 2" in height and the smaller houses. have a door height of just a little over 1 1/2".

Bruce I never done this before. So you have to tell me what you need to know so I can give you the information you need to help.

Measure the height of a door in your house. Do the math for each scale. Should get you close.
Easy stuff.

Rich

bigjoe11a

That's what I was hoping some one could tell me.

jward

doors are usually about 6 1/2'. this works out to slightly less than an inch in HO scale. the 1 1/2" door is o scale, the 2" door is probably one of the g scale variants, most likely 1:32
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bigjoe11a

Quote from: jward on July 21, 2012, 02:51:17 AM
doors are usually about 6 1/2'. this works out to slightly less than an inch in HO scale. the 1 1/2" door is o scale, the 2" door is probably one of the g scale variants, most likely 1:32

Thank you

Ken G Price

Ok, I have to ask or it will drive me nuts. ::)
If the ad said O and G scale, why did you buy them if you do HO?
You do not have to answer though. :)
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

bigjoe11a

because the ad said they were HO Scale. The seller didn't know what scale they are. They just guested at the scale. So when I got them. I told them what scale they were thanks too jward.

Thanks again
Joe

richg

Quote from: bigjoe11a on July 20, 2012, 09:30:29 PM
That's what I was hoping some one could tell me.

If you want to learn model railroading for your scale you will have to learn how to do this on your own without any hand holding. It is not hard. Also, you will not be buying stuff you cannot use.
Now it is possible to put a different scale structure on your layout, depending on the size. Our HO club puts a few N scale structures away from the front of the layout.

The below link comes from a Google search for,  model train scale comparison

http://ezinearticles.com/?Model-Train-Scale---A-Simple-Comparison&id=3164322

When you find something like this on your own, then you can post it to the forums for others to use.

Rich

richg

Next time ask them to measure with a ruler. Not a big deal if they really want to sell the item.
I would not give them a good rating with what they really sent you.

Rich

JerryB

Quote from: bigjoe11a on July 21, 2012, 04:19:50 PM
because the ad said they were HO Scale. The seller didn't know what scale they are. They just guested at the scale. So when I got them. I told them what scale they were thanks too jward.

Thanks again
Joe

Joe:

Not trying to nit pick, but I have looked at and read the original ebay ad word by word. Nowhere have I found any reference to "H0 scale."

There are two places where the buildings are clearly identified as G or 0 scale:

In the heading for the ad:

"Lot of 4 Houses in G or O Scale"

And, in the first line of the description text:

"You bidding on a small lot of O or G Scale Houses for a model railroad."

There is also no indication that the seller did not know the scale. This regardless of the fact that they truly are well sized for 0-Scale and are somewhat small for any of the commonly used large ('G') scales.

Is it possible that you let your enthusiasm override reading comprehension and good judgement?

Happy (Well Studied) RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

JerryB

Quote from: richg on July 21, 2012, 04:33:55 PM
Next time ask them to measure with a ruler. Not a big deal if they really want to sell the item.
I would not give them a good rating with what they really sent you.

RichG (& Joe):

Before the seller is given a bad rating, you should both take a good look at the original ad. There is not a single indication that the seller was in anyway dishonest, nor in anyway unclear or confused about the scale. He clearly states "Lot of 4 Houses in G or O Scale" in two places.

It would actually be dishonest to give the seller a bad rating over this issue.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

bigjoe11a

Thanks Jerry. Guys. The sellers selling the houses didn't know what they were selling. So I took a chance and hope they were HO scale and the weren't. So now I'm trying to get some of my money back.

One more thing. You can't count on every one knowing what you all ready know. I didn't know that I could get the scale of a house or building by the size of the door. Not every search on google.com returns the same results.

To give you guys an idea. The link below I only had 2 houses from this lot that were not HO Scale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390432435651?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and last. These 2 houses where posted as HO Scale and they are not, HO Scale. So I took a chance and got them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370623621887?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

So I didn't know how to tell if they were HO Scale or another scale. So now I know what to ask. Next time I bid on some thing that they don't know what scale it is.

Thanks
Joe