4-4-0 Modern Americans decoders

Started by PHJ, July 20, 2012, 10:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHJ

I have a Spectrum 4-4-0, item number 83409, which is about five years old, perhaps a bit newer.  Bachmann does not recognize it in its on-line catalogue now.  It came with a very limited DCC decoder installed.  Recently I find that it seems to have lost its slow switching speed in either direction.  I do not know of any way to adjust the starting voltage, or to change any of the other possible CVs.
Does this decoder have any capacity to have its CVs changed?  Does it have any CVs or other capacities other than to control the head light, speed and direction in any case?
I am thinking of installing a Soundtrax decoder with sound.  Is that just the best action?
Thanks.

richg

The manual for the EZ Command on board decoder is right in Parts and Service. Download it to your PC and follow the instructions.
You might just have to reset the decoder.
I have put a Tsunami Micro with 28mm speaker into my 4-4-0. I hard wired the decoder and used a 1k, 1/8 watt resistor for the LED headlight. Just follow the decoder instructions.
If you cannot do this, open the tender and unplug the decoder. Plug in a new decoder.
I have no idea on your level of experience with DCC installs.
Sound decoder suggestions. Store the link in Favorites.
Download the manual for the decoder from SoundTraxx.
Many never think of downloading a manual. The manual for this decoder is different than the manual for the Bachmann sound on board loco manual.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step3.php?t=ho&s=Bachmann

Rich

PHJ

Thanks, RichG, for your quick response and suggestions.  I can demonstrate my incompetence in many other ways than trying to install a decoder and sound apparatus, although it might be something to try.  I can and will download the manual and reset the decoder if needed.
PHJ

richg

Yeah, installing sound can be a challenge.
I would suggest a Digitrax DZ125PS decoder with a short harness that plugs right into the PC board. They are about $20.00.
A Micro Tsunami with speaker will be about $100.00.
Make sure to clip the capacitors. They will be labeled C1, C2. I think there are only two caps. Don't worry about the two inductors that look like resistors.
That way you use the PC board which has a resistor for the headlight.
The tender is quite compact.
Flip the tender. Two screws to remove the shell.
Be careful with the two connectors to the loco. Pry them out with a small flat jewelers screwdriver. Don't be ham handed and pull on the wires to remove the connectors.

Rich