News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Historical train models

Started by railsider, July 23, 2012, 09:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsider

I have several of these great little models, and I would like to build a module in the 2' x 4' format that will include a working display for them. Because space is very tight, I want to "cheat" on standard radius (using flex-track) so I can put a small demo loop with, interchangeably, the DeWitt, the John Bull and the Lafayette, on a loop that will have to be crammed into about 16" diameter, or 8" radius. There are other details, but I won't clutter this post with them just now.

I'm going to set up a trial loop to see if the shorter cars will run on something that tight (they also need some weighting to stay on the track). My question is, has anybody else already done this experiment, and can I learn from it what will or what won't work in practical terms. Of course, I know and respect the standards for turn radius, but because these are such tiny cars, will they run successfully (at slower speeds, I'm sure) on tighter curves?

Thanks for any data someone may have already accumulated...............

Railsider

Doneldon

rail-

I haven't tried this myself but I wouldn't be surprised if those tiny trains could negotiate very tight radii. However, 8" seems a bit extreme. I would guess that 15" would be noroblem but it's hard to imagine anything tighter than 12". And even then I think you'd need to put plenty of weight into the cars, but I can't see where you could do that. I suggest that you go to an out and back format, maybe with a nice curve or two and concealed ends.
                                                                                                     -- D

jward

you'll have to experiment. don't permanently weight the cars until you find out whether the engines can pull them. they're not meant to pull heavy cars.

as for the use of curves tighter than 18r, i don't normally recommend them, but i don't think you'll have much of a problem with these. you're not going to back them up due to the way they're coupled. and if you never intend to run anything else on that track you should be ok. once again you'll have to experiment. rail joints will be critical, so i'd recommend you solder any that wind up on the curve. better yet, you should be able to get at least a 180 degree turn with one piece of flex track, and keep all your joints on straighter track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA