News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 2-10-4 Wheel wobble

Started by srmitchell, July 24, 2012, 09:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srmitchell

I have a new Bachmann Santa Fe 2-10-4 loco with DCC, I bought it from model train stuff a  month ago.

A very nice engine, but instantly, I noticed that the drivers/ siderods are very sloppy. The wheels have a ton of slop side to side. It wasn't  problem at first, just something that I noticed when it would hop the flanges on bad track.

I let it break in, and after a few hours of running, it was smooth, and running great.

However, yesterday, I discovered a bad wobble of the engine on curves, and under wheel slippage. The first, 3rd, and 5th drive axles have a slight wobble to them. Under close inspection, it appears the 3rd axle (which has the motor gear, is wobbly, and bent. I can hear the drive rods clicking, and the paint on those wheels is wearing away. :(

Is there any way to fix this? I have not dropped, abused, or wrecked the engine in anyway. I just really don't like how the whole boiler wobbles s it rolls down the track. (Straight or curve)

Does Bachmann offer replacement driver sets for this 2-10-4? I don't want to have to buy the whole replacement engine.
Thanks!

Sean

richg

For a new loco, you are better of seeing if you can exchange the loco for  new one with the dealer.
Also, you can exchange for a new one with Bachmann. Look at Parts and Service.

Rich