News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Prototype for Bachman loco

Started by glennk28, July 28, 2012, 04:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk28

What was the prototype for the large-scale  3-truck  modeled by Bachman? I see several lettering schemes in the catalog, but I know that at least the West Side was wrong  (#4 was a Heisler)--for that matter, how about the prototypes for other Bachmann logging locos? I thinkk I recall finding a simila rloco to the original Pardee & Curtin 2-truck Shay on the Pino Grande  (Michigan-California Lumber Co )
Thanks for the help--Glenn Joesten

ForThemPanzerz

not completely sure but it may be based off of new mexico lumber/oregon lumber companies narrow gauge 3 truck shay which now resides in laporte indiana in running condition
Forumfield

tac

Quote from: mr shay on August 02, 2012, 10:34:12 PM
not completely sure but it may be based off of new mexico lumber/oregon lumber companies narrow gauge 3 truck shay which now resides in laporte indiana in running condition

Well the Climax is [as near as I can determine] identical to the one at the Logging Industry museum in Duncan, BC.

tac
ovgrs.org

Kevin Strong

There is no specific prototype for the Bachmann Climax; it's more of a generic "catalog" 25-ton Class B Climax. The builder's number on the loco is from a 35-ton Class B built in the late 20s, if I recall. The Climax at the logging museum in BC is a 23-ton Class B Climax, but is standard gauge.

I don't know if there's a specific prototype for the 3-truck Shay.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

I don't know of one either.  Maybe the Bach-man or Yardmaster can help.  I would love to know for the historical Record.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Kevin is correct: it is a generic Shay, similar to many, but identical to none.
Have fun!
the Bach-man