News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

History question

Started by bill collins, July 25, 2012, 11:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill collins

What year did Bachmann go to all knuckle couplers? I bought a 1995 "Pioneer" set that has only been used twice and it has all hook & horn couplers.By the way, I got a GREAT deal on the set.

NarrowMinded

Hi,
Bachmann Large scale rolling stock to date comes with Knuckle couplers and a set of "Horn Hook" loop couplers in a separate little bag.

This excludes the fairly new 1:20.3 which do not come with the optional Hook/loop couplers.

So I guess the answer is they Have not gone to "All" knuckle couplers yet.

NM-Jeff

Doneldon

Narrow-

Aren't the Bachmann large-scale couplers hook and loop anymore?

-- D

Bucksco

Most Bachmann Large Scale rolling stock come with knuckle couplers installed and a spare set of hook and loop couplers are included.

bill collins

Thanks guys, but I'm talking about a HO set. Sorry for not being moe clear.

wjstix

My guess would be around 2000, just going by memory.

The issue was that Kadee had a patent on their coupler design, and since they refused to offer model train manufacturers a bulk discount for buying couplers to install on their equipment, most of the manufacturers just provided the old "X2F" or "NMRA" coupler with their products.

After Kadee's patent expired (around 1998 as I recall??) many companies began to  produce similar "clone" (or "knock off") couplers. Some of them were more than happy to offer bulk discounts so in recent years many manufacturers either provide knuckle couplers from one of these companies (like McHenry) or make their own "Kadee-compatible" couplers.

bill collins