News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Telephone Poles

Started by bigjoe11a, July 29, 2012, 12:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjoe11a

I wanted to add telephone poles to my HO Scale layout and I wanted to add some thing different. I wanted to add lines to them to make them look more life like. and I wanted to see if any one has any ideas on how to do this.

I needed an idea to run lines from one pole to the other to make it look more real. Does any one have any ideas.

Joe

poliss

You can buy ready wired telephone poles from Rapido Trains.

mabloodhound

Take a look at the EZ line from Berkshire Junction http://www.berkshirejunction.com/.   They even offer tips on how to best string your lines.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

bigjoe11a

Thanks for the ideas guys, How ever it's not worth the money. I'm better off using string and some Ho Scale telephone poles would do just as good.

NarrowMinded

Use fishing string and and a marker the color you want it to be, to get it to sag and stay sagged use a hair blow dryer on high to warm the fishing line.

Also dont make the line tight to begin with and dont get to close with the hair dryer or the srting will curl and do other unwanted things.

NM-Jeff

Desertdweller

Before you do this, take a look at actual utility wires.

Steel wire will be rust colored.

Copper wire will be light green.

Insulated wire will be black.

Don't forget the insulators.  Bakelite insulators will be black or dark brown.

Glass insulators will be clear, white, dark blue, or dark green.

Les

phillyreading

What I used was fishing line, there are two or three colors if you look at Walmart's sporting goods department.
Another one that may work is sewing thread, it comes in many colors and you can buy it in differant thickness as well.

Lee F.

Joe323

Last time i used sewing thread and it was hard to work with.  I noticed some copper wire in my tool box I may try that pls fishing line.

Doneldon

joe-

Wire isn't an especially good choice because the stiffness makes the lines look unnatural. There is a product which has some elasticity which makes fine model electrical and telephone wire. I can't remember who sells it and a quick look at Walthers didn't trigger a memory. Maybe someone on here will have the manufacturer's name.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

mabloodhound

Quote from: Doneldon on August 06, 2012, 07:56:33 PM
joe-

Wire isn't an especially good choice because the stiffness makes the lines look unnatural. There is a product which has some elasticity which makes fine model electrical and telephone wire. I can't remember who sells it and a quick look at Walthers didn't trigger a memory. Maybe someone on here will have the manufacturer's name.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

I already posted the link above (EZ Line)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Joe323

Thanks everyone! After looking at the ez line I may buy a roll of that to try but first I need to make up he poles.  I have noticed that the telephone poles in my area are not as neat as on most layouts.  So the first step is to drive around and get some pics of real poles.  I think I can modify some of the  poles I already have in combination with wooden dowels ans paint to make a less neat appearence.  Then I can string the ez line.  Most of the poles will be on the section of my layout that has no track becauase being clumsy me I could damage them working on the layout.

Thanks for the inspiration!

NarrowMinded

Joe,

If you are going to use dowels remember dowels are not tapered like telephone poles which are just stripped and treated pine trees, you can put them in a drill motor and tapper them using some sand paper so they will look right to your eye.

NM-Jeff

Joe323

Jeff:

Thanks as I said on will need to tske some pics before I start.

Jhanecker2

Joe323:  Have you considered  using  the bamboo  skewers for your  poles ? They come in atleast  two different lengths . They will also need to be tapered to appear more like the real thing . You  are also right about photographing  real poles ,  they come in many varieties  .    Where I live  , there is a power  substation that receives power from  several  high-tension lines  and  serves five adjacent  communities .  There are litterally hundreds of  utility poles  many of them are different from what is commercialy available .  I am wondering if and when someone  will  manufacture  the new  transmission  towers that are being  erected in Northern Illinois .  These  appear to be  16 sided   steel  sections  with a  gray  galvanized looking exterior finish .  They taper from  about  six feet across at the base to about  two feet about  sixty feet up .  they are composed  of hollow sections bolted together  with arms  bolted to the exterior .  Good Luck with the photo excursion . J2.

Joe323

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on August 09, 2012, 09:50:13 AM
Joe323:  Have you considered  using  the bamboo  skewers for your  poles ? They come in atleast  two different lengths . They will also need to be tapered to appear more like the real thing . You  are also right about photographing  real poles ,  they come in many varieties  .    Where I live  , there is a power  substation that receives power from  several  high-tension lines  and  serves five adjacent  communities .  There are litterally hundreds of  utility poles  many of them are different from what is commercialy available .  I am wondering if and when someone  will  manufacture  the new  transmission  towers that are being  erected in Northern Illinois .  These  appear to be  16 sided   steel  sections  with a  gray  galvanized looking exterior finish .  They taper from  about  six feet across at the base to about  two feet about  sixty feet up .  they are composed  of hollow sections bolted together  with arms  bolted to the exterior .  Good Luck with the photo excursion . J2.

The manufactured poles I have seen are the type seen along side RR tracks What I have in mind is closer to what I see in the neighbohoods near my house. While I have some Manufactured Poles I will Probably cut them up for parts