News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Percy Engine Coupler

Started by usher42, August 02, 2007, 08:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usher42

How can i hook up persy engine to regular ho frieght cars and run percy with my regular frieght cars and how do i ccnvert  frieght car trucks ?

willb

the mounting post for the couplers on the thomas line are lower than the height of regular ho cars.  what you would need to do is convert one of the thomas trucks by mounting a coupler that works with your other cars on one end of the thomas car.   to do this you would have to cut part of the mounting post on one end so that the coupler is at the correct height.  use a sharp knife or saw and a file to smooth the cut post, then screw the standard (or kadee coupler if you use kadee's) in place. 

Len

Which goes back to something I asked about a looonnnnnnggggg time ago.

Why not a "Thomas" hook & Look coupler designed to fit a "standard" (e.g., Bachmann, Athearn, etc.) coupler box? You wouldn't think it would be all that hard to do.

Then, instead of all the cutting and fitting involved with mounting a coupler box to the Thomas cars, it would just be a drop in to put a "Thomas" coupler on the regular HO car.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Beatle (TrainBrain)

I don't even cut and fit! I just make 2 coupler boxes per engine and put them on and off whenever.

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

CNWman

Quote from: willb on August 13, 2007, 10:49:44 PM
the mounting post for the couplers on the thomas line are lower than the height of regular ho cars.  what you would need to do is convert one of the thomas trucks by mounting a coupler that works with your other cars on one end of the thomas car.   to do this you would have to cut part of the mounting post on one end so that the coupler is at the correct height.  use a sharp knife or saw and a file to smooth the cut post, then screw the standard (or kadee coupler if you use kadee's) in place. 

This kind of car did actualy exist, but it wasn't used to link up thomas and friends to normal american cars in real life. It really was used to allow standard gauge engines to move around narrow gauge cars and vice versa.

Just thought you'd like to know :)