Dumb Idea: Hope It Doesn't Bust Copyrights

Started by Mister Lee, August 01, 2012, 12:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Lee

I've got an interesting (dumb) idea. If the copyrights for Lego's basic block system have expired, how about some Bachmann/Plasticville scale-size doors and windows for those of us exasperated by the lack of variety for early 20th century-style stations and buildings but who lack the skill to build ab initio from plaster or styrene? I'd love to have a building made of Lego (tm)-style blocks with 1/48 scale doors, windows, and chimneys.

wjstix

There are a number of manufacturers who offer 1:48 scale doors, windows, and other building parts. Check out www.walthers.com and do an "advanced search" on O scale / scratchbuilding parts.

Mister Lee

There are indeed a number of manufacturers who offer scale-sized 1/4 inch scale doors, windows, chimneys, etc. Determined individuals could also cut and file LEGO brick sections to accept Grandt Line or Tichy doors or windows if they feel that way. However, it might be fun for LEGO (tm) enthusiasts, tinplaters, and Plasticville (tm)  fans alike to have Plasticville-label doors and bricks with windows, doors, and doorways inset into the bricks so that a LEGO fan or someone knocking together a temporary not-for-modeling-contest-awards building might "plug in" suitable near-scale doors and windows either for display or to flesh out ideas prior to building a mock-up or a serious model.

Burlington Route

I'd second walthers....I'd even say if your not into the available packed goods out there that you could look into a modular concept- make a basic wall, front, back and roof or roof half{pitched} and make resin copies of those, then copy away to make what you want for buildings. Think "roundhouse" for such a project....I am!