News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help with "dead" Engine

Started by Tom G., August 02, 2012, 09:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom G.

I need some advice on trouble shooting. I just bought a Bachmann DCC Equipped GP-35 off of ebay. The seller, who has a reputable record, says that it was running fine. However, when I received it and placed it on my layout I couldn't get it to work.

Here's some of the basics:
1.) Tried the engine on DC... no response. No engine noise, no lights.
2.) Tried the engine on the Bachmann Command Control DCC, address #3. Again, nothing.
3.) No visible damage to the engine or packaging. In fact, it was very well packed in the shipping box.
4.) Opened the engine up, no detached wires, or broken solder connections.
5.) Gears are well lubed, and wheels are free of corrosion or oxidation.
6.) Trucks are in good shape, and wire seem to be connected. I hesitate to disassemble it further.

I've got to believe it's an electrical issue, as when I place the engine on the track (either DC or DCC) there is no response. No noise. No light. No hum. No indication that it is receiving power.

I can return it for a refund, and only be out the shipping cost, but my real preference is to solve the problem and get it running. That's the stubborn engineer in me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

jonathan

My first thought is, the address has been changed, AND the decoder is no longer set to 'dual mode'.  Since it is used, that is within the realm of possibilities.

Does your DCC system have a programming track?  EZ Command won't do this, so something like a Digitrax or Dynamis system would have to be used to check for the new address. Do you have a modeling buddy or club layout that can check the address for you?

Can you see the decoder?  Check for little holes or a smell that would indicate a smoked decoder.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

last summer i bought a used atlas rs3 with a decoder at a train show.     i had similar problems with it.    part of the problem was dirty wheels affecting the power pickup.     once this was corrected, i had to do a factory default reset of the decoder, and everything runs fine now.

it does sound like the analog conversion has been disabled on this locomotive.     many people do this because some decoders can run full throttle on dcc when they power is first turned on.    To avoid that you must disable the analog feature.

If you are using a dynamis system, try a factory default reset of the decoder.     if you are using ez command, you may have to find somebody else to do this for you.

does the seller know what address the locomotive was programmed to?   
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Tom G.

Thanks guys. I think you are right about the address being changed, and the analog function disabled.  Unfortunately, I only have the Bachmann EZ Command system, and I don't believe it can reset the decoder. (The Bach Man can correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm not in a club, and don't have any friends who are into model railroading. I'll try my local model railroad shop. He's a digitrax dealer and should be able to reset it for me.

electrical whiz kid

A lot of times your hobby shop owner is going to be your ace in the hole.  Even though you bought it on E-bay, don't be afraid to bring it in and at least present the situation.  Most guys are more than willing to build up a good relationship with a prospecftive customer.  I have been in business for a long time, and have never had a problem "walking" a customer through a problem on the phone.  It could be the most profitable five minutes he may ever spend.
Rich C.