News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Curved Bridge

Started by Jay, August 10, 2007, 02:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

I have a small river that I need to gap.  I have a Wye that curves over this river for about 10 inches.  Any suggestions on a bridge?  Thanks
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse
www.trainweb.org/theroundhouse

Jake

Believe it or not, curved bridges were actually "curved!" They were made up of multiple straight section on which the curved track was lain. But then again, trestles (by that I mean the bent structure trestles) do follow the curvature of the track. The CMR team (www.cmrtrain.com) does custom laser cut kits, maybe drop them a holler.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

Jake, you left out a "not." 
I'm currently building a Micro-Engineers steel viaduct bridge.  It's quite a project, but the end results should be fantastic.  Check them out in the Walthers catalog.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtnut

In general, any railroad bridge built before about 1980 was not curved--it was a series of straight sections joined together.  Now, the ties laid on top would follow the curve of the track, giving the appearance to the casual observer that it was "curved".  The advent of computers has led to the successful design of curved bridges, because the programs could compute the odd stresses introduced by the curved members.

rollerbearing

What about that long curved bridge owned by the IC.

Jay

This has been great information from all.  Thanks!  I am looking into the curved bridge recommended by Gene and see if this will work for my application.
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse

SteamGene

Jay, do be prepared for a lot of work.  A lot.  Did I mention the kit has a lot of pieces and may of them are small? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jay

Thanks Gene,

I will keep it in mind.  I am just beginning the research process for this bridge and have many other projects that are in line ahead of this.  But you have given me a place to begin.
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse

SteamGene

One of the German model companines like Heljin has a curved stone bridge, but it apparently has only one radius, listed in cm and I was just too lazy to convert cm to inches.   It appeared much to tight for my needs and the Micro-engineering one can be built as tight as 18 - all the way to straight.
The sub-assembly that took me 45 minutes to put together yesterday only took about five a few minutes ago.  Only ten more to go.  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jay

What is the length of your curve to be?  After looking at the bridge I think it may be a bit more than I need in that area.
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse

SteamGene

The bridge is 150 feet, which comes to a bit over 20.5" on the layout.  Some of their others might work better for you, if you can get them to curve.  Call and ask - they don't have a website or e-mail.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat