News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Repair of old radio controlled 4-6-0

Started by Howard240, September 10, 2012, 02:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard240

I have an old radio controlled 10 wheeler.  When I got it it didn't work.  There was power in the loco and power in the transmitter, but the two didn't connect.  Some time later I tried again and it did work, but since the antenna was broken the range was only about 10'.  Later it didn't work again, and hasn't since despite power to both devices.

I took it to a shop dealing in radio control models.  They replaced the antenna and determined that the frequency it operates on is 27.095 mhz.  It still didn't work, and they had no transmitters in that range.

My question is: 
---Is it possible to purchase another brand of transmitter in the 27.095 range and make it work?
I will have to travel some distance to a store that sells them and try to find one that works.  It seems the simpler and cheaper option.
---Or am I better off buying a new transmitter AND receiver and replacing the one on board the loco?
I'm not confident in doing the electronics myself, so that option can get pricy fast, and it is an old train.

I'd appreciate any advice or experience any of you have.
Thank you.

Kevin Strong

To be honest, it's not worth it. Those particular 4-6-0s are what's known as the 1st generation. We're up to 6th generation on that particular loco and for good reason. Even if you were to get the radio control working, the longevity of the gearing in the loco (and the traction tires on the drive wheels) is going to be limited. If you want to get the loco running quick and dirty, I'd be tempted to go to Radio Shack, get a 7.2 volt R/C car battery, and wire it directly to the motor with an on/off switch. Run it 'til it dies, then give it a decent funeral. If you wanted to get fancy, you could buy a simple "critter control" on-board throttle from G-Scale Graphics for $40 to have control over the speed. Put the knob where it can be easily reached.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

IF You are sure it is the transmitter,they show upon eBay fairly frequently.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

g-guage_trains

Remember------To start: 1 turn on the engine and 2 turn on the transmiter.
To stop: 1 turn off the transmitter and 2 turn off the engine
alanrr

Larry S.

Quote from: g-guage_trains on September 11, 2012, 12:58:11 PM
Remember------To start: 1 turn on the engine and 2 turn on the transmiter.
To stop: 1 turn off the transmitter and 2 turn off the engine
alanrr

Other way around. Transmitter then engine to start then engine and transmitter to stop. If you turn the engine on without the transmitter, it goes to default which is full throttle. It was designed that way so the engine wouldn't keep stalling if it didn't see the transmitter signal. Make sure the remote is centered at zero before turning on the engine or it will respond to whatever it is set at.
Larry S.