News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

It's a C-19

Started by R and K RR Products, August 03, 2012, 11:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R and K RR Products

Thank You Bachmann for doing this. The C-19 was next on my list to scratch build.
You have saved me a lot of work

Rodney
Trying to make a better world for the 20.3 modeler

Skarloey Railway

I imagine 'all metal gears' is going to sound sweet to many.

What do we make of the new Li'l Big Hauler line? For me it makes a clear distinction between large scale MODELS and large scale TOYS and gives something for those who want a train around the Christmas tree without forcing compromises on those who want something more life-like.

David Fletcher

Well done Bachmann!  The perfect choice, with loads of future potential as well.  We've talked about the versatility of the C-19 for several years, its time!  Excellent news.  Thanks heaps.

David.

Kevin Strong

Dear Bachmann,

I am thrilled with your choice for your next 1:20.3 locomotive. The C-19 class was a success on Colorado roads as well as a number of eastern railroads including the East Broad Top and Ohio River & Western, while similar 2-8-0s ran on many other railroads all across the country.

However, I must register a complaint about the timing of said release, in that it's about 12 months too late. Had you announced this last August, I would not have spent the past year scratchbuilding one of my own. While I must admit to enjoying scratchbuilding, my time is limited and my list of projects grows longer by the day. Laboring on a project such as this only to have you release your finished model at the same time my scratchbuilt version will be nearing completion underscores the need for better cooperation so that there is no further dupliation of efforts. In the end, this will be a win-win for all parties, as I get to conectrate on modeling projects for which there would be no commercial success, and you can sell more locomotives to me, which I will gladly take and make minor modifications to in a considerably shorter amount of time than it takes me to scratchbuild one.

For future reference, my plans include East Broad Top 2-6-2 #11, East Broad Top 2-6-0 #5 (#9 nearly identical), and some point down the road, EBT's M-1. If any of these projects will be under consideration, I would appreciate the courtesy of a subtle hint at the very least so that I can simply wait for yours to come out. I promise, I can keep a secret.

(And please accept this in the humorous spirit in which it is intended.)

Later,

K

R. J. Raleigh

Now this is a locomotive I will buy in multiples. I've been nagging Bach-man for a C-16 for years...but this C-19 is close enough.
Thanks,
Robert

dave2-8-0

OK guys, Like I posted on LSC,  What we going to call Her?  I vote for "CeeCee"
New Mexico Northern Rail Road

bob kaplan

Kevin,
  in  your spare time could you build me a duplicate EBT 2-6-2....That would be really appreciated.... ;D

norman

Dear Mr. Bachmann:

My only complaint is that the Little Big Haulers J&S coaches are 5 windows in length. A 9 window coach would have been of use to an adult modellor. What is an adult going to do with a 5 window J&S coach? A huge sales opportunity has been missed here as many folks are fans of the standard gauge 9 window coaches.

The Little Big Haulers straight boilered loco could easily be transformed into an 0-4-4T loco. But there is no valve gear! Hopefully a subsequent INDY priced model or an improved Little Big Haulers loco will follow with metal valve gear. At least Bachmann is introducting new product at non spectrum pricing.

The C-19 . Excellent choice. 1:20.3 scale is too large for myself as I model in 1:24 scale. But this loco will be even more successful for Bachmann than has been the K27.

A high demand model.

Mr. Bachmann, hopefully a 9 window J&S coach will follow in the Little Big Haulers product line and the locos will be upgraded with metal valve gear and metal side rods.

Norman

tac

It looks beautiful, and will no doubt sell like plates at a Greek wedding, but the UK price will be a killer.

I don't expect to see any here anytime soon.

tac
ovgrs.org

petertoot

great news i will be in line for a couple of these,how do the compare to the k27,or the connie,in size etc,peter in ozz.. ;D ;D ;D

Kevin Strong

My K-27 is around 37" long end to end, and almost 6" wide at the cylinders. My C-19 is 27" long, and just under 5" wide. So, yeah, quite the size difference. (Note, my tender may not be exactly the same size as the one on the Bachmann model, since I'm modeling a different C-19.)

If you search the web, you might be able to find a photo of D&RGW #315 on the Durango & Silverton next to one of their Ks.

Later,

K

norman

Hi Kevin:

Are you able to post a photo of your C-19 next to an AristoCraft C-16 or Bachmann Annie for size comparison?

Thank you,

Norman

Kevin Strong

Sorry, I don't have an Aristo C-16 in my collection here anymore and my 4-6-0s have all been cannibalized, so I don't have one complete. But for rough comparison, the cab on my C-19 is around 3/4" taller and wider than that of the 4-6-0. I know when Accucraft first came out with their C-16s, I had my 1:24 Aristo C-16 at a train show next to a friend's 1:20 Accucraft version, and it looked like Dr. Evil and Mini Me. The C-19 is a bit "beefier" than the C-16 particularly in terms of the boiler diameter.

Ultimately, it will be an aesthetic choice for the individual modeler. The C-19s were built in the early 1880s and lasted until the end of narrow gauge, so they'd be seen pulling freight cars of all sizes, as narrow gauge freight equipment from the 1870s/1880s was noticeably smaller than that built in the 1900s/1910s. So from a purely proportional standpoint, it would not be unusual to see a loco the size of a 1:20 C-19 pulling a string of freight cars the size of the Bachmann/LGB/Delton 1:22 freight equipment, since that equipment measures out very similarly to the c. 1870 narrow gauge equipment in 1:20.

Having said that, for the rivet counters, there's an issue of era. The C-19 as Bachmann is modeling it is as it appeared in the 1920s forward, with electric lights, knuckle couplers, Westinghouse train brakes, and other modern safety features. The diminutive 1870s era rolling stock was pretty much all but gone from the scene by the 1910s, as railroads found it far cheaper to build new equipment with the new couplers and brakes than to try to retrofit small-capacity, warn out 40-year-old freight cars.

But hey--this is large scale. If you like it, buy it and run it. :)

Later,

K

joe rusz

There are many very good C-19 photos in "Narrow Gauge Pictorial, Volume XI, Locomotive of the D&RGW," which has a section devoted to the C-19 as well as the T-12, C-16, 17 and 18, and the K-27 and 36.

The other book, which as many of the same photos is "Narrow Gauge Pictorial,  Rio Grande Southern and D&GRW Motive Power, Volume 1."

I bought both books when they were still around (i.e. on sale) but you might find them at model train swapmeets, eBay, or at used bookstores.

One thing no one seems to have mentioned is that the Painted Unlettered, Black with Red & White Trim-Long Tender loco comes with rounded domes, not the fluted ones used on all the other variants.

K, you said that these locos are circa 1920 with electric headlights, but I notice that the Bumble Bee and Sunrise Herald versions both have those big, boxy headlamps, which I thought were acetylene or something (I really don't know this, but I'm a great guesser). :)

Finally Mr. Strong, how's about a review of this baby in GR?

glennk28

I see the "LBH" series as an earlier entry-level line for those that are a bit young to handle 8-wheel cars--and don't like the Thomas line.  It gives the litttle guys a chance for trains that can kee- them out of Daddy's / Grampa's trains--gj

In the Grandt Pictorials thereare morfe locos in Vol. 11.  The box headlight on 345 Bumblebee was part of her movie makeup--will it have an explosive package to recreate the wreck scene with 319 as 268's "stunt Double"  RGS used anything they had around.