News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

lil' big hauler 0-4-0

Started by train guy, August 04, 2012, 07:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

train guy

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO CONVERT THE NEW LI'L BIG HUALER TO KNUCKLE COUPLERS ?

armorsmith

Train Guy,

The answer to the question is 'yes' This is qualified by stating that almost any engine can be fitted with almost any coupler desired if you are willing to do the modifications required.  I know of many Bachmann engines being converted to almost any available coupler on the market.  Some make it easier than others.  I would thing that sometime between now and when they actually ship, someone will see a pre-release model and report on this information.

I am also interested in this information, along with the knowledge of whether the current off the shelf hook and loop couplers are the same height as the Big Hauler line or will the be the same as the Thomas line.

Bob C.

Loco Bill Canelos

I am wondering how they will market these sets??  I would think through Target, or Walmart or similar places.  Could be a great product to get younger folks interested in large scale, but not for most mainstream large scalers.  If I was going to do something for my grandkids it would be a Thomas set rather than one of these.  Yardmaster, can you tell us the marketing strategy?
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

At the prices they're selling these (even the MSRP, let alone what they'll be on the street), they're a LOT less than the Thomas stuff. I can say with absolute certainty that my kids won't care it's not Thomas. I'm hesitant to show them the page, lest they tell me they want one of everything. If it fits on the track and rolls, they're happy.

From the photos, it looks like the couplers are over-hook type similar to the NewBright couplers. (which, again, will keep my kids happy, as they've got NewBright cars they can run too.) They're compatible with the classic hook and loop, but hook from the top instead of the bottom.

Later,

K

NarrowMinded

Good Eye On the couplers, I Just zoomed in on them, they are differant.
:P

I have plans alrready to bash some of the short passenger cars the couplers will have to go on the "to do" list for sure.

NM-Jeff

Mark Oles

I see these sets as even better than the Thomas line.  The curves and body mounted couplers on the Thomas cars are at the limit of what can work.  These trains, appearing to be a lot shorter, should fit a lot better on the tight curves of starter sets.  I wonder if they could run on an even tighter curve than the industry standard 4' diameter.  That might make them more attractive to families with limited floor space. 

Like Kevin, I didn't show these to my kids yet, either.  We'd have to collect em all!