News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

forney converted to 0-4-4

Started by traingeek, August 06, 2012, 02:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traingeek

Having always loved the Maine 2 foot 0-4-4s, I took a shot at converting the forney into one.  Check out the link for photos of my effort. 
   This could be an easy way for Bachmann to add another engine to it's roster with only minor engineering work.  The frame was chopped in half between the motor and the circuit boards, and the pilot deck was shortened.  The tank was also cut back, and that was it, other than the  backdating.  The only concession was having to trim off the brakeshoes from the trailing truck for clearance.  The 2-4-4 has trouble coupling due to it's length, and this shorter loco alleviates this issue to a great extent.  Just waiting for custom decals to arrive so I can weather her.
http://www.tradewindsvt.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1858

Anubis

There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

traingeek

For clarification, the middle of the frame was shortened by one half inch, and the pilot beam by the same.  This makes coupling and uncoupling much better in both directions.  Mr Bachmann should consider offering this modification; very minimal engineering and low cost for a new loco.  Same boiler, wheels, cab and motor.

Tomcat

And that´s awesome work. Speaks "Maine" to me a lot...

Great job!
Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

traingeek

Hi Anubis and Tom,  Thanx for the compliments.  Actually I am modeling a Vermont freelance common carrier, the Otter Creek and Ripton, and a logging line, Vermont Talc and Timber.  Cutting across the spine of the Green Mountains, the lines feature heavy grades, rugged scenery and several oddities, such as a talc mine and crusher and a log rollover.  Dave McLeod

jpipkin

Very nice!  I thought awhile back about doing the same thing.  Now I know what it will look like.

Jim

narrow mind

Good idea, especially as the Bachmann can make this really cheaply.  What about an 0-4-2 as well, maybe with saddletank ?  Would make a nice logger or industrial unit. I have also had problems coupling up on even straight track with the 2-4-4t, so this shorter engine may be more usable.

lenelg

Tons of Forney conversions over on the Yahoo On30_Kitbashing group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/On30_Kitbashing/