News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steamer Tenders

Started by M1FredQ, August 14, 2012, 10:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

Some months ago while visiting the "NEW" I love Toy Trains Store in New Buffalo Michigan, I found a Williams O-Gauge S-2 Tender in New York Central markings.

I was wondering if WBB made a Pennsylvania tender???

Thanks!

Joe Satnik

Hey, Fred.

The following is a long winded way of saying "3rail might know..."

My guess: WBB, unlikely.

2010 is my only WBB catalog, though.

Williams:  Don't know.  Could be....

My earliest Williams Catalog (actually a folded 22" x 34" double sided poster) is from August 2003. 

It shows separate tenders for sale, Berkshire and S2. 

The S2 is offered in 3 road names:

N&W (orange? red? stripe) (#S2TEND-05)

Undec  (#S2TEND-04) and

NYC (#S2TEND-02)

$79.95 Comes with True Blast II digital whistle and bell.

Replace your missing tenders for your postwar locomotives, like: 671, 681, 736, 773 (1965 ver.) & others.

The Berkshire shows only Luxury Lines. (#BRKTNDR-02)

$99.95 Comes with True Blast II digital whistle and bell.

Replace your missing tenders for your postwar locomotives, like: 726, 773 (1950 ver.), 2020 & others.

These might be leftovers from a previous catalog offering. (My earliest catalog, holes in the item numbering system....)

Follow up catalogs show a 2140WS S2 Turbine 4-car (2400 series) passenger set ($430) with a Pennsylvania tender behind a 671 Turbine

(engine-tender separately $250), so it is a possibility that the Penn tender was offered separate sale in a previous catalog.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Hey Fred,

I have to agree with Joe S., you have a pre WBB tender made by Williams when Jerry Williams still ran the company. It's a very good product, just left-over inventory from before Bachmann. I have not seen any single sale tenders in catalog or on-line at the Bachmann by Williams website.

Marty of Ma & Pa Trains sells some older Williams stuff that he still has, so I am guessing that others do the same. I bought a Williams unpowered GP-38 for Reading Lines from Marty just recently and it was Williams(before Bachmann). The GP-38's for what I want are not being made currently by Bachmann.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

Thanks Joe and Lee!!!!!!!!!

That NYC is really nice. Just maybe WBB may consider some "other" road names

for Tenders only.

M1FredQ

I also went and checked the packaging for the tender and it was WILLIAMS

just as you said!!!!!!

phillyreading

Fred,

Western Depot has the Williams tender you are looking for, also some other older WBB products.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

I don't think Marty is back selling after a personal event.  That's bad.  he was my W/WBB to go merchant.

W did have various tenders for sale every so often.  I did get a PRR streamlines for my Lionel turbine, which did not have one.

phillyreading

Dominic,

Marty was back from whatever was wrong, unless he had a relapse?
His website may not be up and running.

If you want a tender from the pre-Bachmann era try www.westerndepot.com

Lee F.

M1FredQ

Dear Lee

i checked out the web page.

There were only 2 Williams Tender types listed

Luxury Lines(which RR was that?????

Western Pacific

Only $99 each !!!!!

Under the passenger cars are the sets  4 car or 2 car?????

Thanks Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Satnik

Dear Fred,

Luxury Lines is the name that Williams substituted for Lionel Lines. 

Some of the most popular Lionel items that Williams (and now WBB) reproduced had the Lionel Lines road name.

See the Golden Memories section of the catalog. 

Hope this helps.

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Williams before Bachmann sold five and six car passenger sets. To the best of my knowledge WBB sells either; four, three, and two car passenger sets. The three and four car sets are what people like the most. The two car are add-on sets and have addition cars for the listed railroad; like an observation car or a vista dome and a baggage or combo car(half baggage half passenger).

The steam engine tenders are left-over pre-Bachmann items from Jerry Williams.

To the best of my knowledge the name "Luxury Lines" was first used by Lionel  during the post-war, or pre-war time and is a toy train name, not a reel railroad.

Anyway $99.00 for a Williams tender is a bit high, more like $70.00 woud be a realistic price.

Lee F.

r0gruth

I don't think Lionel ever used Luxury Lines.They used Lionel Lines.

$99.00 is probably a little high but it is difficult to find a similar Lionel made tender for less.

I have seen similar Lionel tenders sell for $150.00.

The Lionel tender would not have a set whistle pattern as the Williams or WBB tenders have.
Roger

M1FredQ

Thanks every one I finally found some one selling a tender  with

Pennsylvania lettered on the side for a nice price !!!!!!!!!

Finally!!!!!!!!

M1FredQ

In credibly I found someone sellin a tender with the Pennsylvania on its side.

I got it for about $13. delivered!!!! It should arrive today I will post quality etc when it arrives

and i get on the computer again!

Joe Satnik

Dear Fred,

Congrats on your find.

It seems that amount would barely pay for the postage...

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik