News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Instead of a K2, I will build this.

Started by Eman627, August 14, 2012, 02:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eman627

Well, I found a set of cylinders that are suitable for my project. Just need the crossheads and such. I may have to wait until Sept. to find "donor" locos  and parts for this project, and others as well.

ebtnut

Check here with Yardbird.  You may find the parts you need through them:  http://www.yardbirdtrains.com/

NWsteam

I've been thinking about this one for awhile now...Glad someone is doing it before me. I'm also thinking about taking a light pacific and detailing it into a E2a. Good Luck!

-Brad

ryeguyisme

Quote from: NWsteam on September 02, 2012, 11:21:26 PM
I've been thinking about this one for awhile now...Glad someone is doing it before me. I'm also thinking about taking a light pacific and detailing it into a E2a. Good Luck!

-Brad

With the price of brass coming down all around, an E2a won't cost as much anymore the NWSL one can be had for $150-200 and same with the E3 I saw one on eBay sell for $150 obo and I almost went for it

NWsteam

QuoteWith the price of brass coming down all around, an E2a won't cost as much anymore the NWSL one can be had for $150-200 and same with the E3 I saw one on eBay sell for $150 obo and I almost went for it

Believe me, I've been watching. The problem being that those models are known for having bad gear boxes, So I'll have to replace that and put a can motor in it, so I can add a decoder, and then paint it or repaint. I don't have the means or the skills to paint, so I'd have to out source the job ($$). I would want the headlight centered version but that is the wrong tender for early to mid 50's operations. So I think taking a USRA light pacific, getting a new tender and adding some details is the better option.

Still waiting on Bachmann or someone to make an N&W M 4-8-0. I almost bought an PSC M2c awhile ago but then my car died...So money had to go elsewhere.

-Brad

ryeguyisme

With all the tooling bachmann has to make Norfolk and Western Steam I'm surprised they don't do it, they have enough to make a 16k tender and at least a Z-1a from their H-4 2-6-6-2 chassis, if they don't do it soon enough, I'm flat out buying the H-4 and ordering the Z-1 domes, smokebox cover, etc. From PSC since they list a ton of parts for that engine in their steam parts catalog

I need these engines and tenders for the Rio Grande who owned quite a few N&W engines like the K3, Y3, and Z-1 as well as a bunch of their tenders

Eman627

Well, with school in, and more parts for the streamlined K2 found than the M2, this is now the project on hold. Oh well, I'll get around to it.   :-\