How to Wire Bipolar LEDs into HO EZ Track DC Remote Switches?

Started by bigpianoguy, August 14, 2012, 04:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpianoguy

OK; I've built a ceiling train, with a 4 track yard; but until I get the webcams in, I can't 'see' my switch positions, nor can I always remember what position they were last in. So, I've gotten a bunch of bipolar 3 leg LEDs. I understand about the resistor in the circuit; & figure, 3 wires from the remote, 3 legs in the LED - should be a no brainer.
But I'd really like to hear from anyone who HAS done this - any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

the big problem you are going to run into is that the switch motors are only energized when the switch is being thrown. leave the power on too long and you burn out the coils on the motor. the led's need to be constantly lit to provide indication of switch position. so you can't wire the led's in parallel with the switch motor leads.

what you can do is to wire an atlas snap relay in parallel with the bachmann switch motor, so that the control box operated both the relay and switch at the same time. the contacts of the relay are a seperate circuit from the coil, and can be under constant power. this is perfect for your 3 lead led. instructions on how to do this are packaged with the snap relay.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA