News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

WBB and tmcc

Started by Srcjo, August 19, 2012, 12:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srcjo

Is there any new word on any command control for Williams engines? like DCC or TMCC.  

phillyreading

TMCC was Lionel's system until Legacy came out. Also Bachmann would have to buy into the copywrite or something like that to be able to market Legacy.

Not sure about DCC, who owns the copywrite or what it would take to add it to a Williams engine, as I know that it is in use with H.O. trains.

Personally I don't wish to see command control added to Williams, as the cost will just go up!

There are companies that sell the command control units seperately, I don't who they are. Go to OGR forum and see if somebody over there knows.

Lee F.

Srcjo

Williams is a great product for the money. Just thought they might get into the command control market.
Or offer the option. :)

EIS

I hope Bachmann stays with conventional.  I have too many command engines that are shelf queens due to fried boards.  I now run almost exclusively conventional Williams and postwar Lionel to avoid command control headaches.  For me, conventional is just plain more fun.

Earl

Srcjo

I'm beginning to think the same. I have two new command engines and have had to have both repaired under warranty. In fact the base and remote are in for repair now.. >:(

phillyreading

Like Earl, I prefer the conventional run engines.

There are at least two companies that compete for command control in O gauge and you may have to buy two different command control bases at $300.00 or more for each system, to run both systems, and then you need a connector or hook-up cable for the two systems, another $21.00 or more.

With brand M you have to keep the batteries in your engines charged up or lose the remote control abilities. >:(

None of my nine Williams engines have ever broken down, only a burnt out light bulb.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear Earl (and All),

I'm pretty sure all the command control locos use DC can motors.

For a fairly reasonable price, you could resurrect your shelf queen to run again, but not using TMCC.   

You could connect the motors directly to the track electrical pickups and run on a special "fried board only" track fed with a DC power pack(No mixing with other control types!)   

You could replace your fried board with a diode bridge (6 amp minimum) for single direction (conventional AC control). 

Radio Shack  276-1181 diode bridge is 8 amps. 

Add a  center-off DPDT switch (6 amp minimum) to manually switch between forward only, reverse only, or neutral (conventional AC control). 

Radio Shack 275-664 center-off DPDT switch is 6 amps. 

Mount the switch under the loco, hidden or partially hidden but accessible.   The switch paddle may have to be trimmed down.   

The DPDT switch would allow you to wire in directional lighting using incandescent bulbs,

but the lamp socket bases would have to be isolated from frame ground.   

That may not be so easy.  Might be easier to use LEDs and limiting resistors. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Ron Sims

Personally, I do not understand why guys keep asking for command controlled Williams? Williams is reasonably affordable because there IS NO command controls. If you want that buy Lionel or MTH.
Ron

Srcjo

Personally, I don't care what you old conventuals guys like. I justs asked if Williams had any plans for command control option. You don't like it don't buy it. Bachmann offers the option with there engines .

phillyreading

Quote from: Srcjo on August 26, 2012, 12:49:18 PM
Personally, I don't care what you old conventuals guys like. I justs asked if Williams had any plans for command control option. You don't like it don't buy it. Bachmann offers the option with there engines .

Srcjo, you are talking about H.O. and N gauge trains, not O gauge.
If you like command control, that is your choice.

Lee F.

Srcjo

Yeah I know. Bachmann owns Williams. It is my choice.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Here is an e-bay action selling the TMCC guts out of a loco:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lionel-TMCC-Odyssey-system-for-Alco-S-4-/320969489931?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item4abb45be0b

Thought his reason for selling was interesting:

"The only reason for selling this is, that the Alco will be converted to DCC with sound."

(Bold added..)

Now it's possible he could have meant MTH's DCS, but there is no reason that DCC wouldn't work (using large scale decoders),

and there is competition in the DCC arena, vs. expensive and proprietary Lionel TMCC systems and circuitry.   

If I were contemplating converting my Williams/WBB conventional control locos to Digital, going the (NMRA)DCC route would not be a bad choice...

IMO, Williams should just keep on with conventional control and isolated DC can motor locos,

which are easily converted to whatever control system will fit.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Srcjo

DominicMazoch

W/WBB will run on TMCC/L in CONV. only.  In TMCC, one PowerMaster per loop with a Cab-1 will do it.  however, Cab-1's are no longer made!

stationmaster12

Well you guys know that WBB is now offering GP-30's with sound. So who's to say that maybe in the future they won't offer command control? Bachman makes two  great DCC systems and the sound boards for the GP-30 are by Soundtraxx....hum..DCC for Williams anyone? Just a thought
Keep God first in all that you do.