News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco 2-6-0 adding extra tender weight.

Started by rogertra, August 19, 2012, 06:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

As many of us know, Bachmann engines generally could do with a little more weight over the front of the tenders as the wiring harness tends to slightly lift the front tender truck resulting in less than perfect contact. This is especially annoying with DCC and sound.

First I unplugged the harness from under the engine.

Opening the tender was not a problem.  There's a small screw under the wiring harness at the front that is better removed if the front truck retaining screw is undone as this gives easier access.  The first tender I did I removed the hold down "strap" that holds the wiring harness in place at the front of the tender but that was a pain to reinstall so I didn't bother on the second tender.

Carefully lift the front of the tender tank away from the frame and carefully release the locking tabs at the rear of the tender.   I used a quarter ounce selfadhesive lead weight from a supply I purchase many years ago from a hobby shop.  All it required was a little filing along the front and back edges and it then fit nicely on top of the weights Bachmann has already installed in the tender.

I then replaced the body of the tender onto the chassis and screwed it to the frame.  A little tricky getting the screw back in the hole as clearances are tight.

I then screwed the front track back into place but left the truck slightly looser than Bachmann did as this gives the truck a little more play which will make it easier to keep contact with the rails.  The front truck usually being the one with the pick up issues.  I then connected the harness back to the the plug under the engine.

So there it is.  I think it was worth the effort as contact does seem better and the whole job took me 20 minutes or so.  The engines now do not stall on a couple of switches like they used to.  You will probably be faster as only having one eye I have no depth perception and the eyesight in my remaining eye isn't that good anyway so if I can do it, anyone can.

ryeguyisme

If it makes you feel any better I'm half deaf, so locomotives with sound tend to be very quiet to me. But those with disabilities tend to make up for it with what they have left.

One eye hinders you from completing a task quicker, half hearing makes it harder to hear the kinks in locomotives and that ilk.

I commend you on your extended efforts, it shall further inspire me :)