News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

on30 diesel locomotive

Started by rube125, August 19, 2012, 10:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rube125

Hi, I am retired and a recent widow at 73 years old.  I am trying to run model trains.  After making all the usual new expensive mistakes I have finally set up a small 4' X 6'  table setup.  I have set up two new engines both are 4-6-0 DCC steam loco's.  One has sound.  One has freight cars and the other is a Passenger train set up.  Using Bachmann DCC controller.   I cannot locate ON30 Diesel engines on the web.  So am I right to assume there is no such thing as ON30 Diesel trains available? Is there an idiot book or a video for a non electrician to show me how to hook up switches for track switching.  And how to add sound to the other 4-6-0 engine.   

aussie geoff

Hi Rube 125

welcome . don't worry to much there is a wide range of aids  to help in what our looking for . Model Railroader and even on line your can find many resources that will answer you questions . One thing I will say despite your scale choice all model railways are the same with the same problems . so If you have a model railroad club near bye , its a great way to learn and to make friends with the same interest along the way

Happy Hunting ;)

aussie geoff

Stevelewis

Hi Rube

There  are no 0n30 diesel locomotives  ready to run avaiable  at low prices,  there is one   marketed by Rich Yoder (www.richyodermodels.com)  for  website) SP N01  but  it is expensive,  and unlike  most  model railway diesel locos  is  only only  powered on1 bogie!
Price  is  $489 to $549!!

I have  often  thought  that  a diesel loco  would be popular in 0n30, but  the  facts  are  that in reality narrow  gauge  diesels in the USA were quite  rare ( except  for  the  W P & Y)

Boulder  Valley models  do lots  of  parts  from  which  smaller  diesels  can be  built  if  you have  the  inclination,
hope this  helps

Steve
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

railtwister

Bachmann used to offer an 0-4-0 side rod gas-mechanical switcher (not technically a diesel, but it looks like one), but unfortunately they were discontinued almost two years ago. The second run of these came with factory installed DCC decoders, while the original ones were DC only. List price was $90 and street price could range from $25-$30 up to $70. They may still be found occasionally on the web or in local hobby shops, and prices will vary. These were very small industrial or yard type switchers, larger road type diesels were not generally used on American narrow gauge railroads, although they could be found in other countries. Mount Blue Models .Com and Boulder Valley Models .Com both offer kits for body shells that can be used on HO mechanisms to build your own Freelanced On30 diesels, if you really want your RR to modernize.

Bill in FtL

Ballard Southern

Hi, Ruby...   Someone singing my song!   I enjoy what I refer to as the "Late Narrow Gauge Period", after  WW II and projecting into something close to the present.   Any NG lines operatiing into the 50's and 60's were using some kind of diesels, often standard gauge conversions.

I'm currently building my Ballard Southern:

http://www.dickwightman.com/railroad/modelrailroadindex.html

and I'm basing my motive power on converted larger gauge engines.   I have a O scale GE 44 tonner that is actually a model of the last engine of the Oahu Railway and Land Co.  and I just finished converting an S scale Baldwin S 12 to On30.    If you prowl around on the links at the above site, you will find coverage of how I did this.   Or, if you want to contact me direct:   rwightman@mindspring.com

My S scale conversion came out quite nicely and, as I commented at the end of the page I posted on it, "Sorry, Bachmann, you had your chance!"    Seriously, we need to keep nagging at Bachmann to provide a properly scaled On30 full service diesel.  Narrow gauge didn't begin and end with mining and logging and the narrow gauge diesel world does extend beyond "critters".

Dick Wightman
Dick Wightman
Ballard Southern Railroad
The On30 Diesel Route
24 Hour Service - The BS never stops!

mabloodhound

Of course if you're looking for a diesel prototype, look at some of the Central and South American RRs.   Narrow gauge is still in use and most all are now diesel engines.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Stevelewis

Dick, (Ballard Southern) 

I and  a few other 0n30 modellers over here in  the UK  are  with you  re the  0n30 diesel locos, I am sure  that Bachmann  would have a lot of sales success with one.

I have been tempted to buy one of Rich Yoders  Narrow gauge diesel locos  but I am dubious  about  the fact it is only powered on 1 bogie,  and it  is difficult to find  any   reprts  from any one  that actually  owns one!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Ballard Southern

Sure hope this doesn't show up twice.   I typed it in and hit preview and it disappeared  :^)

Steve

I was where you are re the Yoder loco... didn't like the idea of one powered bogie, plus I read that it shared with the real world standard gauge conversions that immediate impression of massiveness.   I figured that if I was going to accept that, I could do it for less expense.   My S scale Baldwin conversion cost me $60 for the shell plus a used HO loco on hand (figure $30/$40 at a meet if you had to go find one) plus a set of long shank couplers for $5.

I'm very pleased with it.  I ran some tests today.   I'm getting ready for the addition of an extension that wasn't planned for and the connection is going to require tightening my curve standard.   I set up a 15" radius and found that the Baldwin took it well, though I'll admit it looked a bit silly.   However, I won't have to go that tight.  I have a 26" standard on the existing layout and the connection is going to have to go to 22".

The extension will also involve a grade.  The Baldwin pulled 5 Bachmann reefers up a 4% and, I think, could have handled a couple more but that's as long a cut as my sidings can handle.

I was so satisfied with my Baldwin conversion I know I will be doing others, even though I really don't need any more motive power.

In my dream world, Bachmann would issue a copy of that last diesel from the Maine 2', plus a modest to medium line diesel from present day foreign design.  That would put us diesel fanatics solidly past WW II and even into our imagined present day narrow gauge.
Dick Wightman
The On30 Diesel Route

RRinMiami

Been looking for the last 2 years at this board, finally decided to register and contribute what I can.   Love my on30 trains.   As to the comment on R. Yoder diesel loco's ... I have 2 of them.   One painted with the Orange stripes and the other the Red front.   Love them and they actually pull about 9 cars plus a Cab.   They run very well indeed.   Very expensive but worth the money if you want diversity in your RR.  Have at present about 15 Bachmann Steam Eng.  2 MMI, 2 Diesel from R. Yoder and I have kitbashed 3 "O" Diesels into on30 ... which look terrific and they each pull about 10 cars... My layout is 16x24 and 2 tier.

Ballard Southern

RRinMiami....   
thanks for the report on the Yoder... first "I actually have one" I have seen and helpful.   I haven't ruled it out, in spite of the price.    I'd love to talk with you about your O conversions.   Could you contact me at:   rwightman@mindspring.com     

Dick Wightman
The On30 Diesel Route

C.S.R.R. Manager

Thought I might add the conversion kits from Mount Blue.  The caboose kits from them go together well, but require some patience.  I would imagine that this kit would be similar.

Gary

Kevin S.

I have built one of these. Nice kit but the finished locomotive is small.

This is not meant as a criticism.

I wanted a "largish" locomotive for mainline runs to rest the steam power in the "off season" when the tourists aren't around.

Mount Blue is coming out with a similar style kit that will fit on a S-Helper SW chassis that will need to be converted to On30.

I have my chassis and am patiently waiting for the release of the new kit.

Kevin S.

The aforementioned kit is now available though not yet listed or posted on the Mount Blue website.

googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=da1971f5b9&view=att&th=1394e6e3da679d38&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P88PQFxSD9Du9Ol6L5WTwLg&sadet=1345653564202&sads=WJp-NX5XvUF8j3j4rtEX4aF7yRw

Price is $35.95 plus $5 for S&H. Kit is part number 19-A.

Requires a S-Helper chassis.

Ballard Southern

I have one of the Mount Blue kits.   Unfortunately, once I got it I realized it is way beyond my ability to complete... old eyes and shaky hands and scores of tiny wooden parts.      I plunged yesterday for another American Flyer S 12... the whole engine this time... which I'll try to convert.  this is an older version, not the later Lionel one.   We shall see.

I also contacted MTH to see if I could buy an S scale SW 1 shell as a part but they are not willing to sell an engine shell unless you can prove you actually bought an engine and can show the damage to the it that makes it require a new shell.  I think they're missing a little niche market opportunity there.
Dick Wightman
The On30 Diesel Route