Bachmann Spectrum K4 4-6-2 - any way to ID old vs new dcc ready?

Started by timhar47, August 25, 2012, 05:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timhar47

Hello,

I see that on TCSDCC they show a K-4 with a plug-in socket in the tender. I am sure that not all versions of this engine that are for sale have this. Is there any way to know which ones are Easy Plug and play, and which are the 'blow your brains out' rewire job?
It is rather aggravating that this kind of information is not easily ever provided anywhere that I know. Does anyone know - or do the Bachmann Man Know?
I mean all one can find of most any PRR Steam engine these days is in the used market.

Thanks - Tim

timhar47

Thanks - but from what I see in fee-bay, many have no idea. And there is no way I am doing one of those wire by hand deals, thats a disaster when you have to take apart the whole dang steam engine. ;)
Here is the reply given when someone else asked

Q: Is this a DCC unit? If not is is DCC ready?

A: It don't have DCC in it.It don't say but I think it is DCC ready.This model was made in 2002. Thank you for your interest. Robert

richg

Quote from: timhar47 on August 25, 2012, 07:25:29 PM
Thanks - but from what I see in fee-bay, many have no idea. And there is no way I am doing one of those wire by hand deals, thats a disaster when you have to take apart the whole dang steam engine. ;)
Here is the reply given when someone else asked

Q: Is this a DCC unit? If not is is DCC ready?

A: It don't have DCC in it.It don't say but I think it is DCC ready.This model was made in 2002. Thank you for your interest. Robert

That is the reality of dealing with ebay. If the seller does not have an answer, move on. There are many sellers.
That is why dealing with The Favorite Spot on ebay is a good way to go. They sell mainly Bachmann stuff, and a lot of it. They know their stuff. I have bought from them and others here have.
Ranting about ebay is a waste of model railroad time.
If you know what you are doing with DCC, it will not be a disaster for an install. I have done hard wire and plug in.

Don't forget, there is DCC ready. No decoder.
There is DCC on board. A decoder.
There is DCC, sound on board.

The reality is, there are two connectors between the loco and tender for the DCC locos with tender. One has two wires and the other four wires so there will be a PC board with 8 pin receptacle on the PC board.
If no connectors between the loco and tender, then it is most probably not DCC ready or equipped.
This is for Bachmann stuff, by the way.
Sounds like you might be new to DCC so take some time to look though the loco diagrams in this site.

Rich

timhar47

Thanks - so this one probably is on the plus side, as I can see two connectors in the pictures. I have used DCC off and on - biggest issue with 'do your own' is being able to see the small stuff. I am not a stranger to soldering, but with my luck, I stay away from steam engine disassembly.

wjstix

A "hardwire" DCC installation isn't all that difficult, so if you can get a good deal on the engine don't freak about having to use a wired decoder instead of a plug-in. Only thing to double check is that the motor is isolated from the frame.

p.s. if the seller has posted pictures (so has access to a digital camera) you could ask him to remove the tender shell (a couple of screws) and take a picture for you of the inside. It will be easy to see if there's a green lightboard and/or DCC receptacle in the tender or not.