News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

old time engines

Started by steamrusty, August 22, 2012, 06:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamrusty

Hey Mr. Bachmann,
would it be possible to produce engines just like the "Rito Alto" and/or the "Cochetope"?? These are my favorites in 20.3 and they would it be in 0n30 also.
Best wishes from good old Germany
steamrusty

Skarloey Railway

Seconded. These two locos would open up a whole era for modelling.

Royce Wilson

We have only been begging for 10 years for this stuff! , I have always said that all the 1:20.3 stuff would do well in On30.

Royce

Dusten Barefoot

I 2nd this motion x2! The 8-18c and D are some of the most classic locomotives in US history and would sell very well, on the market. I highly recommend that these engines are made.

Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Royce Wilson

The Utah & Norther had a 4-6-0  number 285( named the Logan)in 1885 that only weighed 19 tons!.The photo of it looks as if you took a Bachmann HO 4-6-0 and changed the valve gear to Stevenson and added a huge cab and an enourmous steam dome,it was finished off with the Union Pacific Condon smoke stack and folks complained about the Bachmann IF 4-4-0 being too small.
This photo was taken in front of the Garrison,Montana depot in 1885.
Royce

C.S.R.R. Manager

Found a photo of that loco.  Let's see if the link will work.  Maybe there is a prototype for everything.  Gives me some ideas for that Mantua 4-6-0 chassis that I found on Ebay.

manager

Royce Wilson

I don't have a scanner, but if you can find a copy of the book Union Pacific Equipment just after the renumbering in 1885, June 1,1885, by James L.Ehrenberg and published in 1989. The front cover has a photo of a 4-6-0, the Logan, number 285. The steam dome looks to be  a larger diameter than the smoke box and the cab is much taller than the other 4-6-0. The Union Pacific smoke stack(congdon) that is associated with the Denver South Park & Pacific seems huge! In the book, Colorado Rail annual 15, an Army officer traveling from Utah to Montana wrote about his travels noting that the engine seemed so tiny and did good to haul three cars.
This seems to be a perfect conversion for a HO to On30 project.

Royce

Kevin S.

Here is a link to a great photo of what would make for a great small prototype for Bachmman but big enough for common carrier use as a left over from the lines early days.

Here is the link.

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,224329

Dusten Barefoot

We need this

this

and this

End of story, and my own opinion

Rock On!
~Dusten
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Royce Wilson

Dusten, most of us just gave up begging for that beautiful 4-4-0.What we got insted was something that looked like a duck and a 4-4-0 that would have made a neat looking small engine if it was a 2-6-0.I have located a OO scale British 4-4-0 that I am thinking of doing a conversion on.

Royce

Dusten Barefoot

I dosen't have to be the 4-4-0 for me; the 8-18d 2-6-0 is perfect. It can be converted to to the 4-4-0 no problem ;)

Rock On!
~Dusten
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Royce Wilson

Dusten,the Bachmann Cooke 2-6-0 backdates very well.I have built several Baldwin 1880 versions. The D&RG had several of these that were sold to eastern roads.

Royce

Dusten Barefoot

With all due respect Royce; the reason I say the 8-18d 2-6-0 would be better; is because it's two engines or maybe three engines in one. You can make it into a 4-4-0,4-6-0 or keep it as the 2-6-0. I am aware of the fact the 2-6-0 currently is based off the a Cooke engine; but it's not what most are looking for; well what I'm looking for anyway. I've taken mine, and tried backdating with no good results; but as I added a steel cab from the 2-8-0 and a congdon stack to it; eureka! Twas a beautiful swamp logger.

Anyway, this is the reason I bouch for the 8-18d 2-6-0. It can be made into several other engines without much modification, and would be a very nice addition to the bachamann line. I model the 1880s-1915 and it would be perfect for my route, I'd buy four or five, two to keep original two to turn into 4-4-0s, and one to make a 4-6-0. If the engine was made, everbody would win.

Rock On!
~Dusten
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Royce Wilson

Dusten,I meant no harm,the 2-6-0 is all we got in On30 if you want a practial 1880's era railroad or logger.Try using a PSC C-16 cab instead of the steel cab and if you remove those flat Cooke domes and fill the holes with Squadron putty and sand it round then you can use those beautiful PSC fluted Baldwin domes and finish it off with the long PSC original C-16 pilot.Yes we want the 4-4-0 just as much as you do as this was the most commom engine used in America.

Royce

Royce Wilson

Also meant to add that you can shorten the smoke box and add either a PSC diamond stack or the Radely & Hunter wood burning stack.

Royce