News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

the steam effect

Started by Michael, August 03, 2007, 12:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

hello,  I'm a modeler in need of some help.  i want a cheap and safe way to make steam.  Someone said incents would make steam, but I'm afraid of them toasting my chassis. 

Jim Banner

A cheap and safe way to make steam is to boil water in a microwave oven.  But I suspect that what you want is to generate something that looks like steam but is not steam.  Heating 'smoke oil' in a smoke unit like the ones found in many model locomotives makes a vapour that looks like white smoke but also looks like like steam.  Lionel used to do the same thing with smoke pellets made of ammonium chloride.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Michael

ok thank you very much. 

AlanM

I wonder if anybody has tried dry ice for simulating steam.  Cold rather than hot, even though it might not last very long in such small quantities.  Yah I know, it is CO2, but you can't have everything.

r.cprmier

Dry ice is an old photographer's trick for effect, and an excellent example would be Malcolm Furlow's book about building the "San Jaun Central".

In one shot, he used dry ice to achieve the effect of morning mist over the "Crazy Horse River", and it really looked nice.  I think that dry ice, strategically placed, would lend itself to achieve your end.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

It might be good to know how long the steam needs to hang around.  Is this for a photo shoot, or for a two hour operation?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

JerryB

Dry ice is very cold and thus the vapor coming from its sublimation (melting) is also very cold. The vapor really tends to go down toward the table, floor or ground rather than up like the hot exhaust from a steam or internal combustion engine. This makes much better ground fog than smoke / steam.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources