News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder for Bachmann EMD GP40 and EMD F9A?

Started by lesklar, February 18, 2013, 03:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lesklar

I have a locomotive that I got in the original Bachmann train kit "Thunder Valley". This is a DC version of the EMD GP40. I was thinking of trying to convert it to a DCC version using the NCE Z14SR decoder. Has anyone tried this?

Also, I got another old DC locomotive, a Bachmann EMD F9A (the older version with "Bachmann Hong Kong" stamped on the bottom). Can this be converted to DCC?

Looking at both units, I think I have to modify the chassis to accomadate room for the decoder. The EMD F9A looks like I also have to isolate the motor from the chassis?

What other things should I look for?

skipgear

It is an awfull lot of work to convert either of these loco's. The milling of the frame is enough to make you think twice. You also have to drill and tap screw holes in the frame to attch the pickup wires to the decoder, issolate the motor, issolate the lights (replace with LED), and improve the pickup scheme if you want any kind of reliable service from them.

There are better versions of both locos currently available that have DCC ready mechanisms. The cost will be more but the mechanisms and details are light years ahead of these locos which are both hold over designs from the 80's. Bachmann is slowly retooling their loco's to be DCC compatible, unfortunately, neither of these has been done yet.

If you value your time, I don't consider either of these locos worth the effort to convert.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

lesklar

Thanks, I am researching and will soon buy a couple of replacement locos that are DCC ready or already installed. However, I like a challenge and am not afraid of electrical and mechanical retrofits. And since these are cheaper locos, I am not afraid to start the conversion and discover they have become shelf items that no longer work (or work very poorly). But at least I had the pleasure of learning and building my expertise!

Thanks again for the warning. Nice to be jolted with the reality of the task!