News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What happened to upgrade DC power packs?

Started by Albert in N, August 24, 2012, 09:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipgear

Quote from: Desertdweller on September 02, 2012, 06:04:39 PM
Where a DCC layout will have a constant 18 volts AC on all tracks continuously (unless equipped with block selection), a DC layout will have a maximum of 12 volts only on selected blocks.  And only then if running at full-throttle.

Actually, a properly set up DCC layout for N scale will have between 12-14V constant. Only the very basic Bachmann EZ command system doesn't give you any option for voltage output, one of the reasons I won't sell them at our store for N scale modelers. DC layouts will have whatever voltage the throttle is set at on the blocks. Wide open on most throttles is around 18V, running speed is around 7-9v DC.

Digitrax systems have a selectable voltage output, relative to the scale you are using, 12V for N, 16V for HO and 18V for large scale.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Country Joe

Voltage to the track is programmable on my Lenz system. My layout is 11.5' x 11.5' with only one block. I don't have to throw any control panel switches to run a train. DCC is neither dangerous nor a fire hazard.

Marklin has had digital controls for many years, as has Lionel and MTH. It is basically DCC for AC 3 rail trains. DCC is no more dangerous than DC.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about DCC. All the books and magazines don't help. They make it seem far more complex than it really is. On a small to medium size layout you don't need power districts.

I don't have to select routes, set block switches, remember to turn them off after the train is gone, or anything like that. I just select the engine I want on my throttle and go. I can easily run 3 or 4 trains at a time on my layout.

My older layouts were DC and now I use DCC. I have plenty of experience with both. I would never go back to DC.