News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

floquil paint thinner

Started by jud8979, September 09, 2012, 07:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jud8979

i live nowhere near a hobby shop and you can't mail paint products in my state.....what commercial product will thin floquil paints....mineral spirits will clean up but the paint but the paint particulates out so it's not a thinner......

Doneldon

jud-

I haven't had luck with anything but Floquil's own thinner. However, give lacquer thinner a try. It's about as close to a universal solvent as there is. Depending on the exact formulation of your laquer thinner, you might want to add some alcohol. But I'd go with straight lacquer thinner for openers. Good luck.
           -- D

CNE Runner

Jud - I believe Floquil #140001 Thinner & Solvent is methyl ethyl ketone (also known as butanone or MEK. [CH3C(O)CH2CH3] Methyl ethyl ketone has a CAS number of 78-93-3. Please, please notice that I preface my remarks with; "I believe..." Sadly there is no indication, on my can anyway, that indicates anything other than that it is a petroleum distallate.

I would check with Floquil about the actual chemical components of this thinner. Failing that I suppose one could check with ones local hazardous waste department (probably part of your local/county fire department) and get a copy of the MSDS sheet for the product.

IF Floquil thinner is methyl ethyl ketone it can be had from many aircraft supply houses (although shipping would be a problem). You might also check with your local airport's maintenance shop ('thinking general aviation here) as they usually have a supply of MEK on hand for fabric aircraft repairs...and may sell you a small amount - or give you a lead to their supplier.

Having recovered several aircraft over the years, I caution you to treat MEK with the utmost respect. MEK can cause all sorts of nasty problems in the body (#1 being lung damage). Also be careful on what surface you plan on using MEK. MEK is a solvent and a paint remover. That is why Floquil sells a 'barrier' product to protect styrene surfaces (car sides, etc.). [As an aside: Most of the popular styrene cements are MEK based.]

In summary: I am not saying definitely - nor do I know - that Floquil #140001 Thinner & Solvent is methyl ethyl ketone...merely that I believe it is. Floquil is required, by law, to disclose the chemical components of its products...even if they are a Canadian company.

I hope this helps,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

mabloodhound

MEK and acetone are both available at Ace Hardware and the big box stores.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Woody Elmore

Use caution with Floquil paints and MEK. Mek can be used to assemble plastic kits as well as thin Floquil paints. I believe that Floquil uses Xylene as a thinner. I can't be sure as I haven't bought any lately.

Use a respirator if you spray Floquil or any other paint that is laquer or xylene based as it is not user friendly to internal organs. I believe that Scalecoat is also in the same category.

ebtnut

Floquil's Dio-Sol is actually the solvent Xylene, not MEK.  Xylene is not quite as nasty as MEK, but should be handled like most any of these petroleum distillate solvents.  I believe one of Xylene's industrial uses is to aid in the setting of concrete in cold weather.  I bought a gallon of the stuff at a chemical supply house about 40 years ago, and still have about 90% of it!  These days, I very little use for it since most all the paints these days have gone to acrylics or other, safer solvent bases. 

Doneldon

Well supplied hardware stores carry Xylene. I haven't purchased any but I have seen it.

WoundedBear

Floquil....part of Testors....part of RPM. Click on link for a copy of the MSDS sheet for the airbrush thinner.

http://www.testors.com/media/document/MS.F110001.050911.pdf

Sid

bmjcook

Gidday
            To thin Floquil I have always used 3M car care General Purpose Thinner. Automotive and Industrial thinner. This also cleans the airbrush. I have been using this product for many years and have never had a problem with it. I do not know if you can buy it in the USA.
                                                                                                                 Cookie

Doneldon

WB-

Thank you for the reference on Dio-Sol. It looks like it is mostly Naptha and a Benzene compound with a little Xylene and Toluene. Those are all nasty substances so an exhausting paint booth is necessary for airbrushing. I don't worry too much when brushing Floquil but I wouldn't do that in a confined space, either.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

jud8979

Thanks to everyone for the information...

M1FredQ

When I was model airplane building I would thin my paints with acrylic lacquer thinner!!

It is awesome stuff, it bits into plastic to make a permanent bond and on metal it has

a very realistic finish. I clean my airbrush with it and leaves NO residue.

Make sure you paint in a well vented area or outside. Never ever near any source of flames.

Once my paint jobs are done and have dried for a few days I lay a coat of Future floor wax, let it

dry lay down my decals and once dried seal with another coat of Future Floor Wax, then when

that is dry spray some dull coat