News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C-19 Its here

Started by macappin, August 26, 2012, 04:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macappin

I have just collected my new C-19 from my dealer. My first impression is that it is fantastic. It may well be my favourite model from Bachmann. It is the most expensive Bachmann I have purchased but it looks well worth the money which in the UK is about 50% more than in the US.

Tomorrow I will get the decoder installed together with the sound unit and see if it runs as good as it looks.

mudhen

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you. I have not seen a price yet. Thanks

macappin

It's listed on the Bachmann site as $1575 but I have seen it advertised for $875.  In the UK with 20% taxes I paid the equivalent of £1200. Count your selves lucky you don't have sales tax at this level.

My favourite Bachmann Loco was the Connie which I improved with Barry Olsen's drive and motor but it is put in the shade by the C-19. I have been asked for interior shots of the Tender which I will get to later today.

Tony Walsham

Hello macappin.
If you have a K-27 would you kindly check the length and width dimensions of the opening in the tender that gains access to the pcb socket in comparison to the C-19.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

macappin

The size of the opening in the Tender is 5 1/4" x 3 1/8" but I have the short Tender. Hope that helps.

I have a question for the Bachmann. The tender contains a fan which it is recommended I plug in if installing decoders. This I have done but the fan is not functioning. I note that the Pin Assignment includes  J2-11 Auxiliary Power Activation. Is this to activate the Fan? Should this be connected to a function output. My second question relates to J2-4 & 5 purpose Train Bus are these pins just track power + & -

The Loco runs sweetly my only concern is that a number of parts have come loose which I will need to glue in place or I will lose them in the Garden. I have also broken 2 pieces of ribbed plastic what appears to represent flexible pipes beneath the front of the tender. I was not handling the tender roughly. The detail is great but some parts are very fragile.

Thanks  Macappin

StanAmes

Quote from: macappin on August 28, 2012, 11:16:55 AM

I have a question for the Bachmann. The tender contains a fan which it is recommended I plug in if installing decoders. This I have done but the fan is not functioning. I note that the Pin Assignment includes  J2-11 Auxiliary Power Activation. Is this to activate the Fan? Should this be connected to a function output. My second question relates to J2-4 & 5 purpose Train Bus are these pins just track power + & -

There is a fan in the tender and a second fan in the locomotive.  The fan in the tender plugs into a small socket at the rear of the board labeled fan.  For these to work there must be DC applied to the locomotives + and - that are on J1:6 and 7.  If you replace the dummy plug that comes with the locomotive with a DCC or RC unit both of these pins need to be connected for the locomotive to work properly.

J2: 4/5 and 11 currently have nothing connected to them and are reserved for future expansion.

Hope that helps

Stan

bob kaplan

Will it be a simple matter of just connecting a couple of wires when installing a PHOENIX sound system (DC operation) or will resistors, diodes, etc have to be installed for adjustments?   Thanks.

StanAmes

Quote from: bob kaplan on September 03, 2012, 09:57:41 AM
Will it be a simple matter of just connecting a couple of wires when installing a PHOENIX sound system (DC operation) or will resistors, diodes, etc have to be installed for adjustments?   Thanks.

Hooking up a sound card to the C-19 is a breeze.

In the case of a Phoenix P8, you need to connect the speaker (2 wires) The DCC and power wires (4 wires on the phoenix that can go to the track inputs on the C-19 or if desired 2 to the track inputs and 1 each to + and -) and one wire from the locomotives chuff output to the Phoenix chuff input.

Hope that helps

Stan

bob kaplan

Hey, ....i think i might be able to handle that!!!....Thank you. ;D

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob,
If I understand you will be using straight DC track power, then you should not use the P8 in that the P8 was designed specifically for battery powered locos.  In DC with a P8 there will be no sound when the loco is standing still with no power.  In some cases a little boost of power, but not enough to move the loco may keep the sound operating, but not reliably.  You may be better off using a PB11 which comes with the necessary battery and a recharging circuit to keep it up, and will reliably keep the sound operating while the loco is stopped at a station.  The PB11 is also easy to hook up, with wiring basically the same except for the additional battery wiring.

Have fun,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

ah...yes, i will need the batteries to pick up the slack when the voltage is too low....so it's the PB11....Glad you caught that....would be frustrating purchasing the wrong unit...!!  Thank  you.