News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale knuckle couplers

Started by kaustav, July 31, 2007, 06:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaustav

Hi,

I'm interested to know more about N scale knuckle couplers. I know that Bachmann has some dummy knuckle coupler. What does "dummy" mean? Is it possible to do regular operation (coupling and un-coupling) if those are installed? Is it possible to use un-couplers?

Also they have some freight cars that come with AccuMate operational knuckle coupler. What should be done if I want to use those with my regular cars? Does B'mann provide any conversion pack or something?

B'mann, I would really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks!

Kaustav

taz-of-boyds

I guess there are two types of coupler standards in N scale.  The Rapido squarish style coupler, and the Micro-Trains (MT) knuckle style coupler.  The Accumate (and Bachmann I believe) are compatible with the MT style (and there are others).

Automatic coupling should work with the Accumate and MT couplers, it uses an under-track magnetic device.  (If no one has a better link, try a Google search for something like: "n-scale coupler operation" or "n-scale coupler installation")

There is another option in N scale, that is to use MT Z scale couplers, the smaller size looks more prototypical in N scale, you can Goggle search these too, but it seems you just mount them at the same height as the N scale variety, and the N and Z will work with each other as well (this is my plan anyhow).

However the dummy couplers will need manual intervention to uncouple, no automatic options here, but they look better than Rapido, and some consists can stay together normally (like passenger trains...).

Conversion suggestions should be available at the MT web site for MT couplers.  And some of the other discussions here discuss this.  Some of the other guys can chime in and add some better details...

Micro-Trains:  http://www.micro-trains.com/

Happy modeling!
Charles

kaustav

Thanks a lot Charles... That info is definitely very helpful. I had an impression that Dummy knuckle couplers are only for show, that don't work at all! (because of the name off course). But at least when I know that they work, I can at least replace the horrible looking Rapido couplers with them. Anyway I need to uncouple manually now, so  why not make them look better.

I have one more question. Will these dummy couplers couple with MT or AccuMate operational couplers?

Cascade Northern

Dummy couplers do not operate.  The coupler is one piece of plastic that is molded in the closed position.  I would try to avoid these (for operations) as you will have to lift the train off the tracks to get the couplers to separate.  For display, yes I would use the Dummy couplers as they look better than some of the others.

GlennW

The "dummy" couplers are best used on passenger trains or in diesel units where you don't do a lot of coupling. If you run long coal trains, you can makeup blocks of several cars that will operate in a "unit". You may still be able to use a pick to uncouple manually. Once uncoupled, you may be able to shove the car into spotting position.

In some applications, the dummy couplers can make a slightly less gap between cars & diesels. If you don't have too many sharp curves, it can make a consist of ABBA F's look better.

The main advantage of Unimates is a low price. For $3.00, you get 8 couplers on a sprue.  They also tend to work better than concor's. I'm not sure if they make converting old Bachmann rolling stock easier.

kaustav

Thanks for all the inputs guys. It's really helpful.  :)I think I will have to think again about Bachmann dummy couplers.

Glenn, have you ever used Unimate couplers? Is it possible to do magnetic coupling and uncoupling in that? What about Atlas AccuMate couplers? Bachmann is using these in some of it's locomotives, is it possible to get it in some online shop or something?

GlennW

I use Unimates in some specific uses. They make a quick & easy way to convert to a knucle coupler.

While Unimates do mate with MTL, you lose the magnetic capability.
Look at it this way: you can hold your hand to make a "hook", then open & close your thumb to open & close it. You need to release both hands to get them to separate. If you switch carefully (slow speed), you can push the car with Unimates to the right spot.

Some stores  or etailers carry them, others do not.  I tend to get other items then order another pack of Unimates.

Bachmann's are a very new product. I don't know how good their distribution is. I'm sure Mr B would like to have every retailer that sells Bachmann train sets or other stuff to carry them. We may have to ask the store manager at Hobby Lobby to get them!  Eventually every Nscaler will need to repair a broken coupler or convert to a knuckle style.

kaustav

Thanks a lot Glenn, it's really helpful. I guess, I'll have to ask for your help to find me an online shop if I decide to buy them. :)

Is it really necessary that we use the Magnets provided by Micro-Trains beneath the tracks to uncouple? I mean, is there any other operation that happens during uncoupling, other than magnetic forces acting on the couplers to pull them down and uncouple? In that case it will be possible to use commercially available electromagnets and it will be possible to use the facility in more locations at a lower cost, isn't it?

I have also heard about the "Delay effect"? Any idea?

Sorry for bombarding you guys with all the questions, but i really don't know anything about this... :-[ Thanks again for all the help. :)

taz-of-boyds

Micro-Trains used to be part of Kadee.  Here is a link to one of their pages showing the delayed effect stuff...

-   http://www.kadee.com/int/c1.htm

Here is a link to an interesting use of the electromagnet from HOn3 for N scale.  They discuss issues with various magnets etc. too.

http://www.aglasshalffull.org/article-uncouplers.html

More details on availability of other magnets or electro's someone else will have to provide.

Enjoy the hobby,
Charles

kaustav

Charles,

Those articles are excellent!! 8) thanks a lot for that.  :)

I'm getting tempted to try these babies on my trains as soon as possible!!!! ;D