News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

decoder instalation

Started by beampaul7, September 03, 2012, 01:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beampaul7

I just bought some Soundtrak motor decoders & am doing my first install.  The decoder has the 8 prong plug plus two additional wires, one brown and one green.  I've plugged in the eight prong plug,correctly I hope, and I have those two loose wires.  Can the brown and green wires be clipped off or do they need to be connected somewhere?

thanks so much for any help.

paul g

richg

SoundTraxx decoders come with instructions and a wiring diagrams,. Unused wire should always be insulated.

Rich

beampaul7

THANK YOU RICH!  I had an instructor once who had a saying, "You always have to watch out for the nut (thats me) on the end of the knob".  Thank you for the kick in the head I desperately needed,LOL.  The instructions are indeed on the packaging that I set carefully to one side and forgot about.  I now have
a high boiler 4-6-0 that runs as well on DCC as it ran on analog.  The two wires
in question are for "motor left" and "headlight" which I apparently don't need since everything works and ditch lites or rotating beacons aren't what one would
ordinarily see during the 1895-1915 period.  Would I be correct in assuming that
I can cut those off flush with the decoder? 

Thanks again for giving Me that reminder,

Paul G

fm_tx

Paul,

I'm not sure why you're in such a hurry to clip those wires off.  I think you need to reread the instructions.  If one of the wires really was the "motor left", your loco wouldn't be moving.  Same for the "headlight"...the headlight wouldn't come on.  

You don't mention what model number decoder you are using.   On the steam Tsunamis I've installed, green and brown are function wires.  While you may not want ditch lights or rotating beacons, how about classification lights (I use two function wires to light white or green LEDs stacked in classification light housings), or maybe a cab light, or how about firebox flicker coming from the firebox door?   I add marker lights to my tenders for when the loco is running light....turn them off when cars are attached.

I've never clipped a wire off a decoder, in fact, I use two decoders (a Tsunami and an FL4) to get enough function wires to do everything I want!

Paul M

beampaul7

Thanks for your response Paul M, I hadn't considered the possibility of clasifaction lights. However, being elecricaly/electronicly chalenged to the level that I am, it's not likely to happen at my age.  I'm just happy to be able to install decoders at all.  How would I keep the wires from shorting out something else and not get entangled inside the tender? 

Thanks, Paul G

beampaul7

Paul M, I forget to mention that the loco runs fine without those wires.  I think that they're just extra's for additional functions.

thanks, Paul

fm_tx

Paul,

If the tips of the wires have been stripped, clip that part off so the insulation goes all the way to the end of the wire.  Then, put a TINY bit of glue (I said TINY) on the tip of the wire.  Let that dry.  Then loop the wires and feed the ends through the loop.  As long as the loco you have doesn't have the motor in the tender, and the decoder IS in the tender, the wires aren't going to get tangled in anything.  If you are worried, just tape them to the inside wall of the tender or some convenient place.

Despite the number of wires coming out of a decoder, they really aren't as intimidating as they look.  Think of them as several simple, 2-wire circuits:  to/from the track; to/from the motor; to/from the headlight; to/from the back-up light; etc.   The wires (except the wires in Bachmann locomotives  >:() use standard colors for the various functions.   Each color has one, well-defined purpose.

If you've stretched your ability to install your first decoder, stretch a little more next time and try using the extra function wires.

I suggest you download the manuals from the Soundtraxx web site.  They have several manuals available that will really help you fine-tune your decoder....

Paul M.

beampaul7

Thank You very much Rich and Paul.  This has helped me a great deal and I can now install my own decoders and save a bunch of money rather than pay someone else to install them for me. 

Paul G 

richg

Quote from: beampaul7 on September 03, 2012, 01:15:38 PM
I just bought some Soundtrak motor decoders & am doing my first install.  The decoder has the 8 prong plug plus two additional wires, one brown and one green.  I've plugged in the eight prong plug,correctly I hope, and I have those two loose wires.  Can the brown and green wires be clipped off or do they need to be connected somewhere?

thanks so much for any help.

paul g

The instructions clearly say, Tan, Chuff Cam. Another discussion.
The Green, Function 6 to be used with the Blue wire.

I probably should have included that also.

The below fellow has a lot of good DCC info, including SoundTraxx. Look in Curriculum. Take your time. There is a learning curve with DCC.
Store the link in Favorites. You will need it.
Bachmann favors SoundTraxx products for sound decoders.

I would really like to know which company is handling the new non sound decoders used in some  locos, like the EM-1 and a On30 loco

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Rich

richg

Forgot to mention before. I scan all instruction sheets into my PC for future use. I also store the files on an external hard drive. Camera media can be used now and a lot cheaper.
Yes, instructions are at the SoundTraxx site but in my PC, I can find them a lot quicker.
Yes, I know, following instructions is not a Male thing but I am getting better at this now that I am 71.
When I turned 21 many years ago, I forgot a lot. lol.

Rich

beampaul7

Rich, I just hit 74 Saturday and I haven't learned a thing LOL. It gets worse.

Paul