News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco noise & loco derailing

Started by CB&Q, September 05, 2012, 04:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB&Q

I have a three-loco consist of Bachmann EMDs. The lead FT-A loco, with sound, has a grinding/rubbing noise while running. There is plenty of body clearance under this loco, and nothing is caught under it. The third FT-B loco will consistently derail; the locations seem to be where frogs are placed, but not sure that these are the only places the derailing happens. The second FT-B loco runs just fine with no problems. I've cleaned the wheels on the lead loco and the third derailing loco. There seems to be plently of truck swing play on the third loco. Locos other than Bachmann run without problems on the same tracks.

Possible solutions?

phillyreading

Does this happen with the loco every time it is placed near a certain engine?

I have found that sometimes the problem is when you put two brands of equipment together or put a long passenger car(70 foot scale car with a GP-7, you may need to use an SD-45 instead, something about coupler end play even in model railroading) with a small engine. I had some extremely long Atlas Amtrak passenger cars and tried to run them with a GP-9, then for a test I used an SD-45 with the long passenger cars and they stopped derailing.

Try running all the same brand of engines together, like run all Bachmann or all Atlas engines together and see what happens.

Lee F.

jward

i once bought a bachmann gp7 which exhibited a similar derailing problem.    after checquing that the wheels were in guage, i took it apart.   most bachmann diesels have a bolster screw on top of the gear tower, which screws into the metal chassis.     it should be right above the worm gear.  this screw acts just like the bolster screws of freight cars, and can be loosened or tightened to stabilize the locomotive.     try loosening it on the affected truck and see if thet helps the ftb to track better, it solved the problem on my gp7.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CB&Q

All of these consisted locos are Bachmann EMDs (FT-A, FT-B, FT-B) and have been checked to see if their decoders have been programmed to run in sync, both forward and reverse, so that none are pulling in opposite directions. These 3 locos are pulling only 6 cars, all of which are 40 foot scale; so the 3 locos should not be experiencing any load strain.

I did back-off the bolster screw on the lead truck of the 3rd loco (FT-B), because it appeared that truck was tight. Perhaps this truck and the rear truck need further loosening?

Does anyone have ideas on the noise problem with the lead (FT-A) loco?

Ted

jward

noise is often thee shell rubbing against something. you checqued that, so i don't know what else could be causing it.

when you run this loco with the shell off is it still noisy?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Ted-

Sometimes a couple of smears of plastic-safe caulk or gooey construction
adhesive will quiet resonance in a loco shell (especially diesel).
                                                                                                     -- D

CB&Q

I haven't yet tried removing the shell to see if that takes care of the noise.

If that works, I'll follow the suggestions that D. and Jeffrey have made.

Thanks,

Ted

bapguy

Run the noisey engine on a loop of track. Run in one direction at slow spreed for about 20 to 30 minutes. Repeat at half speed and then full speed. Then do the same with the engine running in reverse. This should quiet down the loco. Then check to make sure the gears in the truck are LIGHTLY oiled with a plastic compatable grease.  Joe

CB&Q

Thanks for all the suggestions to help resolve the noise and derailing, although the FT-A and third FT-B continue to exhibit these characteristics. I'll check in with a local HO club for additional help.

Ted

BarneyJack

You might want to give this a try.  Place the three, uncoupled, locos on the track (with a little distance between them) and run them for a distance.  Note whether any of the "gaps" change, and if so, how quickly they change.  Ideally, if there is a "speed" differential, you would want the "fastest" engine in the front.  If you have an "overachiever" in the rear position, I can see why it might try to climb over the rails.  If these are DCC, (I've never used it, so I'm only guessing here) you might be able to make adjustments to fine tune so the engines are equalized.
Home of the Petaluma, Santa Rosa & Napa Valley Railway

mf5117

does it whine or grind could be a decoder . on the derailing , have you checked the hose heights on the couplers . one could be lower than the other a coupler gage can help check this and coupler height . or you can check the wheel, flange and  rail with a nmra gage .

are you using ez track or  just sectional track . on the EZ track I had derailing problems at the frogs ,due to the #5 switches  turnouts whatever had a slight hump the road bed wasn't flat and some of the ties get lose on the track and the rail width gets narrow or a little wider from being taken apart to many times . and a little gap in the track at the rail joiner where the track mates to the other peice will cause derailing . take a set of trucks and push it over all your switches frogs with your finger and see if it is smooth

or if you have a 3 engine consist switch them up . if its an ABA switch the back loco to the front anf try it vise -or versa

BarneyJack

Hi Ted,
Just curious if you were able to resolve your problems; and if so, what it took to solve them?

John
Home of the Petaluma, Santa Rosa & Napa Valley Railway