looking for someone to renumber and reletter a steam engine

Started by union pacific 844, September 06, 2012, 04:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

looking for someone to  renumber and reletter this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Scale-NEW-YORK-CENTRAL-NIAGARA-4-8-4-DCC-Equipped-Loco-gbb-ihc-Bachmann-50304-/380460128201?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item589530d7c9 to union pacific 844     
i really want to find Athearn Genesis Union Pacific 844 in ho scale I've been trying to get this engine for 4 years!! does anyone know where to get one please help me find one

ryeguyisme

You're better off buying the union pacific version of the Niagara(they never technically had one) from the bachmann overland set. They can be found on ebay by themselves. Otherwise I'd say you're better off saving your money to buy an actual Union Pacific FEF-3 they're all over ebay just not specifically 844.

With the amount of time you say you spent searching for the engine, you could have been saving up to buy one.

I'm a brass collector and runner on a college student budget, I'm 23 and I have over half a dozen brass engines so far and the trick is when you feel tempted to buy something else, remember the other things you want like the UP FEF-3 engine and decide what do you want more this or that?

Like I said in the previous post you made you aren't going to save money by having someone repaint and decal the engine, you're BETTER OFF just buying the actual engine in this case and not cutting corners or else its impractical

union pacific 844

im 20 and i
have  2  union pacific overland limited  4-8-4 engines tho

ryeguyisme

Then save for an FEF-3 then, work for it. You'll appreciate it when you finally have it

Doneldon

844-

Why not do it yourself?

-- D

union pacific 844

im not sure how to and reletter renumber on any engine 

wjstix

Quote from: union pacific 844 on September 07, 2012, 05:17:41 AM
im not sure how to and reletter renumber on any engine 

You can get Walthers "Solvaset" from the local hobby shop. Brush some of that on the lettering, then rub it with a rubber pencil eraser. When you start to feel some friction, add more Solvaset. If you're patient, the factory lettering will start to dissolve and can be rubbed off. DON'T use an abrasive track cleaner or sandpaper etc., just a pencil eraser.

Then you can spray the model with a product like Testor's glosscote (from a spray can) and use decals to letter the model. Use Solvaset to help the decals "snuggle down" on the model, then seal it in with Testors dullcote.

Keep in mind that by adding in effect unrealistic "phoney" lettering to the model, you're reducing it's value to pretty much zero. If you like U.P. steam, you'd be better off to sell the Niagara and use the money towards a UP engine.

sd24b

recommend  not to use solvaset on microscale decals, though.  sometimes they disintegrate  phil

GN.2-6-8-0

Renumbering or relettering a locomotive really is not that difficult you just need to take your time and not be afraid of trying. you can always start over again if you mess up....we've all screwed up a couple o.k!  ;D
think of the pride of accomplishment once you've finished one.
I recently bought bachmanns latest sound value 2-6-0 mogul in Santa Fe lettering and after researching it a little found they had a little mogul that was in fact quite similar but the engine number was wrong  and the lettering size & coloring were also wrong.The lettering should be white....not silver or aluminum

I was a bit too much in a hurry to take a before picture but found this one on the web showing it as 9449 now SF had several 9400 class moguls but didn't run that high and they were a much smaller engine but i found a picture of
another which looked much closer and chose to reletter mine to it in the 2500 series,you'll notice they were all oil burners so modified the tender as well.
anyhow enough yakking. here's the before i found and after picture i took of what i got and what i turned it into in a couple of days.....and it was fun ;D

Rocky Lives

RAM

Pacific Northern

ATSF also inherited some nine 2-6-0 Engines, these were Alco built engines

#2526-#2530 Alco-Cooke 1907,  5 engines,  gone by 1949, engines were ex-Kansas City Mexico & Orient
#2531-#2534 Alco-Pittsburgh 1907,  4 engines, gone by 1951, engines ex-Kansas City Mexico & Orient
Pacific Northern

RAM

GN.2-6-8-0

Rocky Lives