News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

thinking about switching track company

Started by trains1972, September 18, 2012, 06:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trains1972

I have to find a new track company since atlas track is hard to find now a days.  A couple of questions about e-z track before buying any.

I know Bachmann is located in Philly, but is the e-z tracks made in the USA? 

Can e-z track connect to Atlas code 80 track all ready in place once brought up to the roadbed height?

Could the track be wired using block wiring? 

can the roadbed be removed to give more realistic look to tracks? 

Desertdweller

The Bachmann E-Z track components are made in China.  The track itself (rails and ties) is (to me, at least) indistinguishable from Atlas track.  Atlas track curves do come in tighter radius than E-Z Track .

The rail is nickle-silver, just like Atlas.

What sets it apart from Atlas track is the attached roadbed.  The roadbed is plastic, with molded-in connectors at each end.  This aids in allowing the track to be disassembled/reassembled, and helps in maintaining a constant curve radius.

It can connect with Atlas track already in place, as long as the rail height on the Atlas track is brought up to the rail height on the E-Z Track.  I assume you already have roadbed under your Atlas track.  The connector on the E-Z Track roadbed will need to be trimmed off.  Each piece of E-Z Track has a square end, making connecting to other track easy.

Sure it can be wired with block wiring.  Just cut a gap in the gapped rail, same as any other track.  Feeder wires can be soldered directly to the rails.

Why would you want to remove the roadbed, after paying more for track including roadbed?  The roadbed can be removed from the track by prying it off.

If you want the roadbed to look more realistic, try painting it.  I use flat acrylic paint for this purpose.  Paint it any color you want.

All of the main line and important secondary track on my railroad use E-Z Track.  It is very satisfactory in my opinion.

Les

trains1972

thanks for replying.  I have been having trouble getting Atlas tracks.  It has been months without track.  I do not use roadbed under the atlas track, just paint the foam and glue the track down.  The news I have been hearing about the track shortage it will not be anytime soon for a supply of track.  I was hoping to find a tack made in the USA. 

skipgear

Your options for C80 N scale track are:

Atlas - Track is out of stock as they are moving production to a new facility where they have better control of scheduling. Should be shipping again late October/November according to employees at Atlas that post on some other forums.

Peco - Similar in looks to Atlas track, no roadbed, more turnout options. Comes from Europe, made in China I believe (not sure on that one)

Micro Engineering - technically Code 70 but works with C80. Much better looking ties. Only available as flex track and #6 turnouts. #6 turnouts have been out of stock for a long time.

Kato - Roadbed style track made in Japan. Considered the best sectional roadbed track by many.

Bachmann - Roadbed style track made in China.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

poliss

Peco track is made in the small town of Beer, Devon in the south of England.