News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP 35 Diesel drive problems

Started by TRAINBUFF, September 13, 2012, 09:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINBUFF

Hi,
Sorry if I have missed this topic elsewhere in the forum but couldn't find it in previous topics.

I have two GP35 diesel locos with drive problems. Two weeks ago one loco after many miles began derailing on points. On further inspection I have found the loco was only driving from the rear bogie and pushing the front bogie around the track.

Further inspection found that the front universal coupling (what the drive shaft clips into on the front bogie) has come loose on the worm shaft. On top of that found the second loco with the same problem.

These couplings are an easy slide fit on the shaft, they are not broken or split.

Are these couplings normally only a tight push on fit or are they retained using an adhesive?

If so, What adhesive should be used to reattach them to the shaft?

Are these items available as spare parts? Part number?

Thanks

K487

Trainbuff:

I just had the same issue on a Bachmann HO diesel - one of the GPs.

I cleaned the metal shaft and inside the plastic drive sleeve with a small piece of rag with rubbing alcohol on it (to get rid of any oil residue.)  I then put a small amount of super glue in the plastic sleve and pushed it all the way (about 1/8th inch) onto the metal shaft.  I let it sit for about 15 minutes and it runs fine now.

NOTE: Don't use too much super glue - it might migrate/wick on the metal shaft over into the bearing.

As info I got the impression that my plastic sleeve drive part came off because it wasn't pressed all the way on (as far as it could go on the metal drive shaft) to begin with.

Hope this helps.

K487

TRAINBUFF

K487:

Thankyou for the information. I was considering superglue but it is always good to bounce the idea off somebody else.

Once cleaned up with alcohol, when I push the coupling back onto the shaft they did indeed have a small crack in each one (explains why they came off).

Used some glue to re-attach, re-lubricate the locos and they have already completed about an hour working a double header.

Once again thankyou for taking the time to respond!

Trainbuff

richg

Sometimes I use gel type CA instead of the thin type CA. Also, five minute epoxy can work very well in certain situations.

Rich

K487