News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC in 4-8-4, non spectrum, questions

Started by m squard, September 03, 2012, 12:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m squard

I have some questions on wiring a 4-8-4 bachmann, Im thinking of putting the pc board from a spectrum in the tender and wiring the loco that way. it seems most n steam decoders are in the tenders   I.m also curious about some good guides for doing this pretty inexperienced but have electrical knowledge any input is appreciated.  I alos have some model power engines that need lights wired considering a backup as well, all in time.  Hve wondered about putting PC boards from Spectrum engines in for lights ect. 

skipgear

It's not hard. No need for the Spectrum tender board, just a decoder and a resistor for the front headlight.

You need to run 6 wires from the loco to the tender, issolate the motor and the headlight from the frame, and add a little extra insulation around the motor can (this I know from experience). The wires need to be:

Right Rail pickup
Left Rail pickup
Motor +
Motor -
Headlight +
Headlight -

Another big suggestion is to add tender pickup in the form of wipers or similar. Just pickup from the 8 drivers is not enough for reliable running on DCC.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

m squard

Ive heard there are some pictures, finding detailed info on the first install for steam is not easy this is stuff I understand but learning the process takes different methods for us all.  thanks for the input mm

richg

Quote from: m squard on September 03, 2012, 02:28:48 PM
Ive heard there are some pictures, finding detailed info on the first install for steam is not easy this is stuff I understand but learning the process takes different methods for us all.  thanks for the input mm

I did some searching and mostly about decoder in a DCC ready is what I found.
Any scale, the install will be about the same as you have already been shown.
This will be a challenge for those not familiar with the basics of DCC.
I have worked in electronics since 1956 and understand many facets of electronics but I needed to study the NMRA instruction for DCC which still does not include all info, such as sound.
By the way, if you want to work at what I call the component level, get a digital multimeter for voltage, resistance and current measurements.

The below is what I experienced.
Making sure the two motor contacts are not connected to anything is extremely important. Sometimes you need a layer of Kapton tape to isolate the motor frame from the loco frame if the motor brushes are connected to each side of the motor frame. An ohm meter check will show if the brushes are isolated. Kapton tape is thinner than electrical tape and much tougher. Then a couple nylon screws to attach the motor to the frame.

Rich

235dave235

Does anyone know who makes a decoder with sound for an n-scale
4-8-4 class J steam loco?  Thanks Dave

richg

Quote from: 235dave235 on September 06, 2012, 06:21:18 PM
Does anyone know who makes a decoder with sound for an n-scale
4-8-4 class J steam loco?  Thanks Dave

Yes I do.

SoundTraxx. $96. No speaker.

ESU. $120. comes with speaker

Both sites have info and sound samples. Go take a look.
They come with instructions. Don't throw the instructions away. Believe it or not, some actually do.

Rich