Bachmann 1 amp EZ Controller running 4 engines

Started by rbryce1, September 14, 2012, 04:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbryce1

I have installed my EZ Controller which replaced my faulty Dynamis.  I have not yet connected the Bachmann 5 amp booster to the EZ Controller.  I understand the EZ Controller is rated at 1 amp.

I have so far successfully ran 4 locomotives at once, 2 with sound, all with lights on and 3 Bachmann Alaska McKinley Explorer passenger cars with lights on, and everything ran fine!

Seems like I would be pulling much more that 1 amp with all this.  I started out with 1 Bowser diesel engine with Tsunami sound, added one Bachmann diesel without sound, another Bachmann diesel without sound and then the fourth engine was another Bowser diesel with Tsunami sound.  After that the McKinley Explorer passenger cars.  Did not just run for a minute or two, ran for about 20 minutes on a track which included a 2 degree incline .

Am I just really fortunate or is something amiss.  No overload, no drop in speed, no hot wires, nothing indicating a problem except the math.

Jerrys HO

rb
you did not miss a thing. I have been stating this fact everytime someone brings up it's limited power. I run two sound and have had up to 6 regular loco's on my track at once. The EZ Command may be limited on other things but surely not power to run trains. I have the booster but have yet to remove it from it's wrapper.
I have taken measurement's from different sections while runing and never had it drop more than .5 amps. I do have a buss feed with numerous feeders.

Jerry

Joe323

Are you talking about locos running or just sitting on the track? Even an idle DCC loco uses some power as it waits for commands.

I usually have one or two running but as many as 5 on the track.

JerryB

Quote from: Jerrys HO on September 14, 2012, 07:13:31 PM

<snip>
I have taken measurement's from different sections while runing and never had it drop more than .5 amps. <snip>

Jerry

Jerry:

Could you please explain this? I don't understand what and where you are measuring.

Normally, as load is added, the current draw goes up. What is the maximum continuous current draw (amps) that you see?

As Joe323 posted above, locomotives that are on the track but not moving still draw some current. Moving locomotives, especially those pulling a train upgrade, would be expected to draw more current.

A couple of questions:

1. How many DCC locomotives have any of you had on a single powered track at one time?

2. How many of those were moving, either with or without a train?

Thanks & Happy RRing,

JerryB
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Jerrys HO

JerryB

When I had
Quotetwo sound and have had up to 6 regular loco's on my track at once.
they were all running. I don't usually run that many as I have trouble keeping an eye on on two or three.
While the trains were running I used my multi-meter to measure the amperage around the track. From what I have read on this forum this may not be an accurate measurement but I am satisfied with my findings. As the loco's are running I measured no less than 1.5 - 2amps on the track while all TRAINS are in motion. All are DCC loco's. The two sound loco's are MTH's SD70ACE and Bachmann's S4. Only two were pulling. The MTH has 12 plus cars running on my main line continuously and I have two NS GP's pulling the same.
I believe having power feeder's every 3 to 6 feet has a lot to do with it.
I do plan on running the booster someday but for now I don't need it.

Jerry B (also)

jward

just wondering: are you aware that to get a true current reading an ammeter must be inserted into the circuit where all power in the circuit travels through it. on a model railroad, that means the wire from the controller to the track must be cut and the meter inseted for an accurate reading. reading current draw by placing a lead on each rail, like you would for voltage, will not and cannot give an accurate reading.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

JerryB

Jerry B (also):   :D :D

Thank you for the reply.

As to your amperage readings, please read jward's message above.

Did you actually cut the amp meter into one leg of the main power supply output? That is the only way to get amperage readings.

From you statement that you ". . . measured amperage around the track," I suspect that you did not actually read amperage at all. Please give us more information on how you did the hookup.

I'm not being critical nor denigrating your effort. Just trying to help with the technical understanding.

This morning, I am off to watch the Sheep Dog Trials at the Mendocino County Fair & Apple Show in Boonville, CA. Hope all others are doing something as enjoyable this morning!

Happy RRing,

Jerry B
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Jerrys HO

OMG

QuoteFrom what I have read on this forum this may not be an accurate measurement but I am satisfied with my findings.
Yes I am aware.
I plan on installing a rampmeter like this one. It shows it can be installed in line and placed on the rails.
http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/rrampmeter.htm

I knew there would be feedback on this post but what I have done so far is all I can justify the multiple trains rb and myself are running. Don't believe it come on down south and see.

Jerry B ???

Ken G Price

Jerry B  said  
"This morning, I am off to watch the Sheep Dog Trials at the Mendocino County Fair & Apple Show in Boonville, CA. Hope all others are doing something as enjoyable this morning!"
Happy RRing,

Well, though I won't be going to Boonville, I will be at a picnic here in Clearlake. :D

Any ways, thanks to both Jerry B's for the information about how to check the power draw. I have never thought about doing it as I do have a 5 amp system and never had any problems.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on September 16, 2012, 12:23:59 PM
I plan on installing a rampmeter like this one. It shows it can be installed in line and placed on the rails.
http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/rrampmeter.htm

Jerry-

Remember that the RRampmeter is not a volt-amp meter. It is a specialized piece of model railroading
equipment. That's why it will give an acurate reading where a conventional VA meter won't.
                                                                                                                                          -- D

Jerrys HO

D

I have done my homework. If other's would like to learn a little bit more on DCC just click on the link and store it in your favorites
http://dccspecialties.com/products/pdf/RRampMeter-Application-Notes.pdf

Jerry