News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Model #00501 Decoders

Started by bigjoe11a, September 15, 2012, 07:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjoe11a

I been trying to find out about the decoders that came with my new engines with the Model #00501 Train Set, DCC EZ Command Center.

I was told that this decoder is a 28 step decoder and should have 28 functions that I can turn on or off. Does any one have any idea on how I can find out what decoders come installed on these engines.

Thanks
Joe

richg

Quote from: bigjoe11a on September 15, 2012, 07:28:20 AM
I been trying to find out about the decoders that came with my new engines with the Model #00501 Train Set, DCC EZ Command Center.

I was told that this decoder is a 28 step decoder and should have 28 functions that I can turn on or off. Does any one have any idea on how I can find out what decoders come installed on these engines.

Thanks
Joe

The EZ Command decoder documents are right here in the Bachmann site. Look around a little. You will find them.

Rich

richg

Just in case. Take time to do some reading. You will learn a lot about non sound, EZ Command and sound, equipped locos.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/prod_serv.php

Rich

bigjoe11a

That's why I couldn't find it. I wonder why this didn't include this in with the train set. Any way I don't under stand any of that. Thanks again. They said I can call them if I can any problems

JerryB

Quote from: bigjoe11a on September 15, 2012, 07:28:20 AM

<snip>
I was told that this decoder is a 28 step decoder and should have 28 functions that I can turn on or off.<snip>

The "28 steps" term refers to the number of speed control steps between stop and full speed. It has nothing to do with the number of devices that can be controlled.

For an explanation of DCC speed steps, see:

http://www.dccwiki.com/Speed_steps

Then poke around on that site for lots more basic and advanced information on DCC.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

jward

the decoders in your locomotives do not have 29 functions. 2-4 is more like it. probably the only function actually hooked up is the headlight, which can be turned on and off with dcc. decoders with 28 or simnilar functions are sound decoders, and the functions control the various sounds.

the number of functions in the decoder is irrelevent to you, as your ez command has limited capabilities. you can change the locomotive address, with only 1-10 available. you can also change the normal direction of travel, so the the locomotive moves in reverse as its normal forward direction. this was common on certain types of locomotives, and on certain railroads.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: bigjoe11a on September 15, 2012, 03:15:04 PM
That's why I couldn't find it. I wonder why this didn't include this in with the train set. Any way I don't under stand any of that. Thanks again. They said I can call them if I can any problems

There is a learning curve with DCC. Don't make assumptions when it comes to DCC. Take your time.
You probably only have DC trains as a frame of reference and the terminology for DCC can be quite different. Enter programming which you do not use with DC trains.

Rich

bigjoe11a

Thanks guys. This is not what I was told. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that at all. I was told that there are 28 functions that I could control and I didn't find any thing on this. But thanks again

richg

Quote from: bigjoe11a on September 15, 2012, 03:15:04 PM

The reason there are nothing about this with the set is because the instructions are at the  Bachmann site. Just about all DCC companies have instructions/documents on line.
You are not the first who have run into this issue and you are not the last.
Some of the more expansive brands include some documents.

Rich