News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to G scale RR

Started by new G, July 16, 2007, 05:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new G

I am planning on building my first G scale layout and would like to know if Bachmann loco's and rolling stock will operate on Aristocraft and USA  Track, and if Bachmann track is useable outdoors!
If Bachman loco's and rolling stock will not operate on Aristocraft and USA track and if Bachmann track is not useable outdoors, then I guess I will have to hand lay my track and fabricate my turnouts etc. from llagas creek track.
I really want to use Bachmann loco's and rolling stock as they will be absolutely perfect for the time period and location I am planning on modeling also the quality for the price is a huge factor also.

lrparks

I had the same question not long ago and have discovered many things.

1. Bachmann track is not UV protected so it will deteriate over time outside.
2. Bachmann Large scale will run on G-scale 45-mm LGB, Aristocraft and USA track.
3. USA and Aristocraft track are essentually the same. They might even come from the same factory in China.
4. USA Brass track is much cheaper than Aristocraft track for the time being, but that may change soon. Copper prices are through the roof.

I have recently purchased USA track for my layout and am currently doing the layout portion. I will soon be buying an Annie Denver & Rio Grande to run on it.

new G

lrpark
Thaks for the info, this really puts my mind at ease because I think I already knew that Bachmann track was not suitable to use outdoore, I also knew that brass track was going to get seriously expensive. However I am thinking of using aluminum track and fabricating my own turnouts,ets.

I am also thinking of scratchbuilding all of my structures such as, bridges, trestles, buildings, etc, because I love scratchbuilding.

The area I will have to work with is approx. 23ft.X34ft.

altterrain

Welcome to the great outdoors! As said above Bachmann track does not last very long outdoors mostly because it will rust out since it is hollow tinplate. Also it is only 4 foot diameter which severely limits the locos you can run on it. I would recommend at least 8 foot diameter track.
Since you are considering building your own turnouts I might suggest joining Large Scale On Line (LSOL.com). They are currently running a member workshop on making your own switches. It is a pay site but email me on saving a few bucks on joining.
Aluminum track is fine if you are going to use battery/RC power but it will not work well for track power. I know on one club member layout with aluminum track that has been around for 25 years. I use mostly track power and I am using stainless.
I also enjoy kitbashing and scratchbuilding buildings and working outdoors has it challenges. I use a variety of media for my buildings like cedar and PT lumber, hardibacker board, and foam insulation board and plastic veneers.

Some of my scratch buildings -

(Second from right)

(middle one, the others were kitbashed)

-Brian

President of

VirginiaCentral

Quote from: lrparks on July 16, 2007, 06:16:41 PM
I had the same question not long ago and have discovered many things.

1. Bachmann track is not UV protected so it will deteriate over time outside.

The problem is not UV.  The problem is rust!  Bachmann track is steel and will rust away to nothing in a year if it is left outside.

On the other hand, I have read a report that the plastic ties in Bachmann track will hold up better than LGB ties.  Go figure.

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

calenelson

Greetings from SC!

Good idea on the AL track....!  I buy and use the oldest and dirtiest track I can find.  It works great on for my Battery and RCS Trains(as would AL)!

some other sites I'd recommend would be....

Large Scale Central, and MyLargescale, google should get you there!  No memberships needed to participate!  and who can forget our friends at Garden RWY magazine

I have a few Bachmann engines, and have been pleased with how they perform for me (Esp with the Batteries/RCS).

Good luck!

cale

foureyes

No No NO!  There is nothing wrong with track power and aluminum.  I can't figure out why -- with so many experts around -- everyone seems to miss the fact that aluminum is the second best conductor of electricity after ... copper!

Many homes are wired with aluminum, and their lights still work!

Many modelers in my area use aluminum and track power because it has been cheaper to buy, the smaller size (Code 250 and 215) is more like real (without becoming a rivet counter).

It has it's drawbacks, but not because it's aluminum.  It's not as robust as brass and may deform if you step on it.  It can't be soldered very easily.  I've had some of my shorter pieces welded together.  It needs to be cleaned, but it's always worth a walk around the layout to check for twigs and other debris.  I just do it pushing a wall sander.

Write to me off line if you really want to know how I feed about aluminum.  I've used Llagas Creek track, rail, and switches and have been satisfied by all of them.

If you'd like to see some of the track, you can see some of my pictures on flickr as train44buff.

tac

Quote from: foureyes on August 03, 2007, 07:41:16 PMThere is nothing wrong with track power and aluminum.  I can't figure out why -- with so many experts around -- everyone seems to miss the fact that aluminum is the second best conductor of electricity after ... copper!

That's why cross-country transmission lines use aluminium wires...

tac
www.ovgrs.org

altterrain

Quote from: foureyes on August 03, 2007, 07:41:16 PM
Many homes are wired with aluminum, and their lights still work!

As long as everything is properly pigtailed with copper!  :P

-Brian
President of