News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help a newbie please.....

Started by domdad, August 04, 2007, 03:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdad

I am getting ready to buy the Durango & Silverton - Freight large set. 

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=1684

I have a couple of questions....Are the large sets "G" scale?  I can't find it anywhere on the box, and I am going to need to buy more track.  Do you know how sharp of a turn the trains can make?  I am planning on putting shelves around my sons room, and I have to figure out the turns.  The room is 14' x 18'.  Thanks a ton......

altterrain

Yes, all the Bachmann ten wheelers (and a couple of other locos) are "G" 1:22.5 scale. The Spectrum line of large scale locos and cars are 1:20.3 scale (sometimes known as Fn3 scale). Since you are going to but a bunch of track anyway, I would suggest starting over with brass track with 5 or 6.5 foot diameter curves. Bachmann track is only 4 foot diameter and that severely restricts other locos that can run on it. Even the 10 wheeler will run easier on a larger radius plus the brass track will be more reliable in the long run.

-Brian
President of

paceway

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that there are five common SCALES that use the same GAUGE track. The track for large scale trains is all 45mm ( 1.75") gauge. You don't want to get a disscusion going about scale, it is so confusing that even the manufacturs don't know how to figure it out.

Just know that if you stay in the 1/20.3 and 1/22.5 scales, as Brian suggested you will be fine.

Happy railroading...

Bob