News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Parking Lots and side walks

Started by bigjoe11a, September 17, 2012, 06:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjoe11a

I was looking on youtube for a video on this to give me some kind of an idea. Some of the Buildings I have all ready have side walks. The idea is to have both and I wanted to see if any one can give me a hand with this. Please any one have some ideas.

Joe

Jerrys HO

Joe
I like to browse other layout photo's to get ideas. One of the best I have come across is one of our own member's here. He has a fantastic downtown scene and some parking lot's. Give it a glance. Any post he has has his photobucket link on it along with other member's.
Here's Jonathan's link I'm sure he does not mind.
http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/jsnvogel/Larger%20Layout%20Photos/

Jerry

Doneldon

joe-

I'm guessing that the attached sidewalks are of many different sizes, styles and colors. They won't look reaistic together. Sometimes you can get away with one oddball sidewalk such as a particular restaurant might have, but, as in real life, to look like the real deal sidewalks need to look alike.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

bigjoe11a

Thanks guys. The idea is that I never have done this before. So I was hoping for a video to show me just how to do this. As for the photos. They won't tell me how to do it.

Jerrys HO

Joe
There are numerous ways to do this. There is also a product by Barmills that is nice.
http://www.hobbylinc.com/ho_scale_model_railroad_road_accessories

Here's another way using card stock.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5143933_build-ho-scale-sidewalks.html

I use smooth-it from woodland scenics. I just tape off the area or for thicker areas such as sidewalks I take a piece of styrene andcut and glue into the shape I need and pour in smooth-it. You can add color to the smooth-it also.

Jerry

bigjoe11a

Thanks Jerry, I was thinking of some thing like this, http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/bus/bus7076.htm. I could add like 2 of them for parking. It's just because of the size of my layout, It makes no sense to spend more money.

I just spent $100.00 on Houses and Buildings for my layout, So I'm not happy with what I spent. Sense my layout was changed again. I desided to make it a country woodland scenics. I did want to come up with an idea for some side walks and curb side parting areas. I mite have to change that to relate to the small town I made.

Thanks Jerry
Joe

bigjoe11a

Oh, one more thing. Jerry HO or any one. Can you tell me what this is for, I saw this as I was looking threw the link Jerry HO gave me.

Car System Laser-Street Street Sections (Less Guide Wire)

Joe

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: Doneldon on September 18, 2012, 02:15:43 AM
joe-

I'm guessing that the attached sidewalks are of many different sizes, styles and colors. They won't look reaistic together. Sometimes you can get away with one oddball sidewalk such as a particular restaurant might have, but, as in real life, to look like the real deal sidewalks need to look alike.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

Not true. Around Baltimore City, most sidewalks are different, even on the same block! my block alone has 4 different colors and patterns
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

bigjoe11a

That's true. I have myself have seem roads and walk ways more then one color.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on September 18, 2012, 08:53:11 AM
Quote from: Doneldon on September 18, 2012, 02:15:43 AM
joe-

-- D

Not true. Around Baltimore City, most sidewalks are different, even on the same block! my block alone has 4 different colors and patterns

Same here in Philadelphia. You can find brick, concrete, and slate all in the same block. Probably has something to do with the age of the city and/or the neighborhood. Newer or recently redeveloped areas of a town or city probably have more uniform sidewalks than older neighborhoods or communities.

Southwest Chief

Sidewalks

I use the sidewalks made by Scale Structures (S.S. Ltd.)

They make two versions.  One with rounded corners (SS8011) and one with square corners (SS8014).  I use both.  The rounded corners work great for street intersections.

They are the present day version of the old Magnuson resin sidewalks.  Easy to cut easy to paint and they look nice.

Parking Lot (Streets)

I use thin .010 Evergreen styrene sheets for parking lots and streets.  I just cut it to the dimensions I need.  I paint it with Floquil Grimy Black.  Road stripes are 3M pin stripes.

Here is a photo showing S.S. Ltd. sidewalks and the .010 styrene streets on my HO layout (If you right click view image it gets a lot bigger):

Matt
Click Here for photos of my train layouts

Doneldon

I use two layers of cardboard (like shirt cardboard or poster sheets from Office Max). It's easily scribed
for cement panels, painted, cracked, etc., and just about the right size for a curb.
                                                                                                                        -- D

Desertdweller

Brick sidewalks (and streets and alleys) can help define the "old" part of town.

I have fun with neighborhoods on my railroad. The "nice" neighborhood and the "dumpy" one, on opposite sides of the station.

Les