News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The LYN gets RCS R/C & batteries.

Started by Tony Walsham, September 19, 2012, 02:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walsham

At long last I have had a customer send me a sample of the latest version of the Bachmann Lyn for conversion to battery R/C.
The Lyn is one sweet little loco.  It runs really smoothly and is quite easy to pull apart.
There are a couple of ways to install battery R/C and this is the way I have done it without sound.
It is quite small and there are some left over mouldings from the previous version inside the boiler which have to be removed.  Plus it is necessary to remove the smoke unit to get access to the boiler insides to remove the offending bits of plastic.
To start remove the four screws holding the chassis to the body.
The chassis simply drops out in one piece, making life very easy.

I then removed the stock Bachmann pcb from the chassis.  To get the chassis top as flat as possible I cut off the four pcb mounting lugs with side cutters.

The two part RCS # PRO-3 ESC sits snugly down on the chassis top held in place with non metallic silicone adhesive.

Next up was removing the plastic mouldings inside the boiler.  I did this with a long hacksaw blade via the front of the smoke box, finished off with a sharp hobby knife.

Just about the only place for the ON-OFF switch, charge jack and programming push button is between the firebox and cab wall.  These parts were mounted through the floor of the cab and are unseen from outside.

Access to the switch, jack and pushbutton is from the underside.  I will space them out a little further next time.

I used two 7.2 volt packs of ENELOOP hybrid NiMh - Alkaline made up three cells wide by two cells long.  These are mounted one in each water tank.  To do so you must remove the weights and the plastic weight locating stanchions.  I did that with side cutters.

The batteries will only fit if you cant the over slightly when gluing them in.

14.4 volts provides a nice top speed to compliment the smooth running of the loco.  I am amazed at how much traction it has.  8 pieces of scratch built bogie rolling stock on the flat.
Nice one Bachmann.

The Lyn comes fitted with a speaker mounted behind the rear of the cab.  It also has a proper mechanical chuff timer as well.
Although my customer didn't want sound I thought I would trial fit a MyLocosound, but there is not quite enough room under the boiler for it as well as the R/C equipment.
I have figured out another way of doing it using Li-Ion batteries mounted in the boiler instead of the side tanks. That will free up the two side tanks for the sound in one and the decoder in the other with the actual motor driver part in the smoke box.  That will be done with the next one that is coming shortly.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Jose Morais

Nice install.

I've also equipped my Lyn with batteries, radio control (Revolution) and sound (Mylocosound). I've also used 12 AA Eneloop NiMh batteries on the loco but 2x2 in each side tank and another 2x2 in the boiler back. The Revolution receiver went in the underside of the cab roof, fixed with double sided tape (the cab is so closed that it really can't be seen, and it avoids the installation of a separate linking button). Finally,  the Mylocosound card went in the front of the boiler - it just fits in it.

It is a tight installation but not as tight as the one on the Davenport diesel (10 AA batteries, revolution receiver, mylocosound and 2'' speaker, fuse and switches - all internal). Someday I will get around to show how I made it.

Of course, the final installations are not as neat as yours, but they do work. I really do like the Lyn, very smooth and a surprising good puller.

Later

Jose
Headmaster, CF da Lapa Furada, Portugal